Issue with xfce4-notifyd-gtk3 after the 2019-08-13 update

Hi, after the update of today 13 August 2019 I’ve found an issue with xfce4-notifyd-gtk3:

After login I don't see any notification (eg from Xfce Power Manager), after a little investigation, as I opened xfce4-notifyd-config, this window told me that “The Notification Service is not running. No notifications will be shown”. As I run systemctl --user status xfce4-notifyd I got:

● xfce4-notifyd.service - XFCE notifications service
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/xfce4-notifyd.service; static; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2019-08-13 21:09:20 CEST; 4min 21s ago
  Process: 3278 ExecStart=/usr/lib/xfce4/notifyd/xfce4-notifyd (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 3278 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Aug 13 21:09:20 Probook systemd[1031]: Starting XFCE notifications service...
Aug 13 21:09:20 Probook xfce4-notifyd[3278]: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyUnable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
Aug 13 21:09:20 Probook xfce4-notifyd[3278]: cannot open display: :0
Aug 13 21:09:20 Probook systemd[1031]: xfce4-notifyd.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Aug 13 21:09:20 Probook systemd[1031]: xfce4-notifyd.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Aug 13 21:09:20 Probook systemd[1031]: Failed to start XFCE notifications service.

But after a while, as I run systemctl --user start xfce4-notifyd, notifications properly works. But as I logout and then re-login, I fall again in the same issue: the notification service doesn't start. From Pamac I also tried to reinstall xfce4-notifyd-gtk3 0.4.2-1 but didn’t helped. What can I do?
Obviously after the system upgrade I rebooted my system.

EDIT:
After some minutes of inactivity, the notification service will fail again.

Please post the output of:
sudo pacman -Qs xfce4-notifyd

local/xfce4-notifyd-gtk3 0.4.2-1 (xfce4-gtk3-goodies)
    Notification daemon for the Xfce desktop

Dang, I was hoping the old xfce4-notifyd was still installed and it was just a conflict.

I guess you could look in Pamac and see if it is actually there. Pacman usually doesn't lie but you never know?

1 Like

in pacman.log I just have xfce4-notifyd-gtk3 (0.4.2-1)

1 Like

Ok, great. Thanks for humoring me. :wink:
I'm curious have you modified your .xauthority file at all?

This tells me something is wrong with your .xauthority file in your /home folder.
That is above my level of understanding though on how to fix it.

I never touched this file, but I can attempt to restore it from a backup: I will try and report back (before i will check with meld if there are any diff)

EDIT: i tried but the issue persists.

1 Like

Unfortunately I'm out of ideas on how to proceed.
I don't want to suggest something that makes things worse. :confused:
Perhaps one of the gurus will have some better suggestions on how to proceed.

Thank you anyway for your suggestions :+1:

1 Like

Stop/disable and start/enable the service again ... Check one more time

Please check if xfce4-notifyd-gtk3 0.4.4-1 helps ...

Yes: installing this previous version, solved the issue.
Obviously is not a previous version, since 0.4.4-1 > 0.4.2-1: I downloaded it from http://ftp4.se.freebsd.org/pub/manjaro/pool/overlay/xfce4-notifyd-gtk3-0.4.4-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz since on pamac wasn't available

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark