Issue creating a bootable usb from manjanro xcfe minimal edition

Hey,

I've been trying a few different ways to build a bootable usb from (manjnaro xfce 20.0.3 minimal
What I tried:

anonymous@anonymous:~$ sudo dd bs=4M if=/home/anonymous/Downloads/manjaro-xfce-20.0.3-minimal-200606-linux56.iso of=/dev/sdb status=progress && sync
23383244800 bytes (23 GB, 22 GiB) copied, 1267 s, 18.5 MB/s
5577+1 records in
5577+1 records out
23393615872 bytes (23 GB, 22 GiB) copied, 1877.66 s, 12.5 MB/s

It seems wrong to me that this would have resulted in 22Go. I'd expect the bootable image on the to be a 2-3Go. I created a Linux Mint bootable recently and Ubuntu 20.04 bootable of those sizes. The above USB also didn't boot - didn't show up in the boot menu. I then plugged it back the existing OS (mint) and it showed no files with ls. So that didn't work.

I'm on Mint (or Ubuntu), so Rufus or the other windows software mentioned in the docs aren't an option. If I try to use Startup Disk Creator (Ubuntu's iso managemnet UI) then it reconizes my Ubuntu & Mint ISO as sources, but not Manjaro's....

So.... what an am I doing wrong? Why is both startup creator and DD not working? What would the correct dd command be if the above is wrong, or is the download for minimal somehow not working?

EDIT: on Mint, I have also tried building the USB bootable with unetbootin. When I choose the USB bootable from the boot menu after that, I get:

error: unknown filesystem
Entering grub rescue mode...
grube rescue>

That last attempt was with the full (not mimimal) version of Manjaro xcfe....

Franck

First - Startup Disk Creator can't work with Manjaro ISO.

Second - something is wrong on your system - I don't know what.

Try checking the ISO using the checksum and verify the signature.

For the purpose you can use Popsicle which can provide a checksum of the ISO for verification.

1 Like

Okay - therefore I'd be better off using dd I guess? Redownload the image or verify the checksum (but then if dd didn't work with that download on a brand new USB stick I'm probably better off just trying again).

Thanks, I'll try that & get back.

dd works great but make sure to 100% select the right device.

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Burn_an_ISO_File

So I ended up re-running the dd command:

sudo dd bs=4M if=/path/to/manjaro.iso of=/dev/sd[drive letter] status=progress oflag=sync

But on Mint, which is installed on the target hardware (as opposed to running it from Ubuntu, which is running on a different hardware). I am not sure why, but this time it worked.

It also worked from the full image (not minimal). So I am not sure if my initial .iso was corrupted or if running dd from the different os/hardware made the difference. I also used the DD command from the link provided by Wollie (thanks), which was slightly different than mine.

I didn't have the patience to make each changes individually to see which one actually worked, sorry. Just threw everything I had to it. Now I have a working Manjaro install alongside a Mint install and I can't wait to test out Manjaro. I've been loving Mint for some time (more so than Ubuntu, overall), and I've been waiting to test out something more different. Mint & ubuntu are different but not all that much.

Thanks!

1 Like

Glad you made it and hope you enjoy this beautiful distro. :smiley:

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by