Iso build

arch

I am building an archiso, I’ve got all my file structure correct, it bots and I can install.
I have place a .desktop icon for the installer to show up in the live boot, however after install its still on the desktop, anybody knows where to put it so it dosn’t show up after install?

At the moment its in livecd/airootfs/etc/skel/Desktop

Thanks in Advance
Ant

How is this related to manjaro-architect that it is tagged with?

I believe its a fork of architect, pacbang-iso

… Yes, I know, I maintain it. But that doesn’t answer my question.

You have tagged your thread with manjaro-architect. However, your question seems to be about archiso. Manjaro-architect and archiso are not related in any way. So, what do you want to ask about manjaro-architect?

To answer about archiso: I don’t think archiso uses overlay filesystem like buildiso does, so there is no clean way to have it the install something different from the live environment. I would do it with a script.

For better answers concerning arch specific tools, arch forms are your friend.

Manjaro is not Arch, archiso is created for use with Arch, Manjato-tools is what is used to create Manjaro ISO’s.

With Manjaro-tools there is a live overlay that does not get copied to the live system via the installers, that is where these kinds of files would be put.
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Manjaro-tools

As far as I can tell, with archiso everything is in one file structure (no overlays), so whatever is on the live cd is what ends up on the installed system.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/archiso

However, If you have questions about archiso, or any other Arch specific tools, then the Arch forums would be a much better place to ask.

You could hack it by putting something like this in the xinitrc or something:

[[ $USER != "liveuser" ]] && rm ~/Desktop/file.desktop && sed -i '/\$USER =!/d' ~/.xinitrc

Replace username as appropriate and use some other file if necessary.

However, this is very hacky approach to this.

What are using as the installer?

More-or-less. I use Archiso to build custom base+ Arch ISs, and whatever packages are current is what builds to the ISO, 'though I guess you could add dated packages. Dunno why. :wink:

regards

pacbang-iso (abif)

Thanks for that, sorry if I offended you by using that tag.

Well, archiso doesn’t use overlays (root, mhwd, desktop, live, etc.) like manjaro-tools-iso (buildiso) does. And yes, the current packages are what ends up on the ISO’s using buildiso (manjaro-tools-iso) as well. I’m not sure why you would need to use archiso for this?

Nobody in their right mind would, not with archiso in Manjaro. :smiley:

No offence taken, I just wanted to understand the issue.

There is an alternative to archiso, but currently only on artix called buildiso as well.
Some slight adjustments to the pacman.conf files and repo names, and it should work on arch too.

Thanks I just built a new iso and tried the hack, unfortunately it didn’t work. I only needed to change .desktop file, it was already set to ‘liveuser’ and added it to the .xinitrc

[[ $USER != "liveuser" ]] && rm ~/Desktop/Install.desktop && sed -i '/\$USER =!/d' ~/.xinitrc

Oh well thanks for the help, really much appreciated :wink:

The command below is in .xinitrc
[[ $USER != "liveuser" ]] && rm ~/Desktop/Install.desktop && sed -i '/$USER =!/d' ~/.xinitrc

I tweaked the command a bit, if I run the command in a terminal it works, removes the desktop icon and that command line from .xinitrc

Its like its not executing the command (after install) at login, any ideas??

Thanks
Ant

Does anything from xinitrc get executed on your setup? Some display managers use ~/.xsession or something. You could also just put it to bashrc as brute force solution?