Is there any way to mark a built in kernel module as loadable forever?

Hi all!

In order to make work my raid drive, every time the kernel packages are updated via Manjaro package manager, I have to:

• Download last stable kernel.
  • Mark ahci built in kernel module as “loadable”.
  • Compile and install the custom kernel to able to unload the ahci kernel module.

Is there any way to mark the ahci built in kernel module as loadable even I update the kernel?

Thank you!

You mean that you are compiling a kernel with different build config?

If so then you are out of luck and you’ll need to keep compiling your custom kernel.

Maybe uninstalling the current one you have and keep compiling yours whenever you feel like it’s time.

Yes, in order to be able to unload the ahci builtin kernel module, I should compile a new kernel with a custom config (making the module as loadable and not as builtin).

So, Is there any way to skip the kernel packages updates?

Thanks!

Yes, the kernel is there as part of the kernel package, like linux58 + maybe meta package like linux-latest.

If you remove them, then your updates will not pick them up but be careful you need to not forget to do the mkinitcpio stuff to regenerate the ramdisks, and if you have grub then some tweaking might also be needed.

OK, so I consider that as a solution :frowning: Thanks so much @freed00m !

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.