Is there any possiblity that Manjaro's Power Manager can't read my battery capacity/percentage right?

Hello there,

The title might come off a stupid, but hear me out. I have a Thinkpad x230, with a chinese knock-off battery installed that has lost about 15% of its capacity. I used to run Pop_OS! alongisde Windows 10, and on both my battery performed fine.

Just a week ago, I wiped my SSD and installed Manjaro XFCE, and this is what I use now. After installing, and unplugging the laptop from the AC, then charging back up, my battery percentage was stuck at 56%. After a restart, the Power Manager was seeing the percentage at 100%, but the capacity at 55%. I decided to recalibrate it, and let it drain. However, the system kept shutting down at around 5%, but could be turned back on. Finally, I drained it, and finished recalibrating.

Everything went smooth, the capacity was back at its normal rate again. After using my laptop unplugged, and having the battery drain to 60%, then suspending the system. When I resumed the activity on it a few hours later, the battery percentage was 60%, and a couple of minutes later it dropped to 30%. Using it, the battery went down, then up, then down, then up. It was fluctuating a lot: 15% → 25% (then it drained to about 10% and went back up to ~20%). Letting it drain again, it got to 0%, which then kept running for 10 more minutes.

Now, my system is plugged in, and at 100%. However, I’m afraid of using it unplugged, because of the battery fluctuations and random shutdowns.

So, back to my title: Is there any possiblity that Manjaro’s Power Manager can’t read my battery capacity/percentage right, or is the battery faulty? Normally, I’d assume that it’s hardware related, not software, but it happened right after I installed Manjaro.
Here is a paste of “tlp-stat --battery”:

— TLP 1.3.1 --------------------------------------------

+++ Battery Features: Charge Thresholds and Recalibrate
natacpi = active (data, thresholds)
tpacpi-bat = active (recalibrate)
tp-smapi = inactive (ThinkPad not supported)

+++ ThinkPad Battery Status: BAT0 (Main / Internal)
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/manufacturer = SANYO
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/model_name = 45N1023
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/cycle_count = (not supported)
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_full_design = 48840 [mWh]
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_full = 42550 [mWh]
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_now = 42550 [mWh]
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/power_now = 0 [mW]
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/status = Full

/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/charge_start_threshold = 96 [%]
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/charge_stop_threshold = 100 [%]
tpacpi-bat.BAT0.forceDischarge = 0

Charge = 100.0 [%]
Capacity = 87.1 [%]

Thank you for taking your time to read my stupid post.

Hi @brick,
Could you please read these posts in order to find a solution for your problem?
Thinkpad T14 Gen 1 - TLP battery thresholds

Inxi says my batterys condition is 89%?

Battery consumption problem - #7 by mahdizare_pro

Hope this help, regards

1 Like

When pasting terminal output, highlight it and use the Preformatted text </> button, not the Quote " button.

Alternatively, add three backticks ` above and below the text:

```
text
```

Please edit your post accordingly.