Is there any GUI tool for making an installable ISO of my current setup so that I can distribute it?

I want to make an installable ISO of my current open to setup along with their applications theming and overall configuration of the desktop

1 Like

I don't know of a GUI tool that takes your current setup and turns it into an installable ISO.

You can use buildiso but the process is a bit more complicated than point and click.

At the moment, there is no such tool for manjaro. Ubuntu used to have it. I can make one if there is interested and I have time, it is not a difficult thing to do.

10 Likes

I would appreciate it!

1 Like

You know it will eventually contain all your personal documents etc too?

You mention distribution - as in creating a backup for your self?

Or as in for other people like friends and families to use?

1 Like

I would automatically ignore those by default.

So copying the .config .local and other .dot files to the /etc/skel folder in the process?

What about password for the user? group membership?

I think it is a good idea with a lot of excludes - and probably a good excercise.

Ping me if you need to turn a problem around ... If I can help :slight_smile:

Are you thinking of an Arch installer with the little extra :slight_smile:?

2 Likes

For friends and family

MX-Linux too. :wink: MX-Snapshot
On my 2002 Fujitsu-Siemens 768 MB RAM it work, burn to DVD (No usb-boot possible on this oldie :wink: ).

Would be a nice thing if Manjaro had that, too.

SnapMan :wink:

Vorlage

2 Likes

I was going to look for just such a tool for my own use. I think it would be handy to have a "snapshot ISO" that can be turned into a recovery USB stick. (In the unlikely event of hardware failure.)

1 Like

I recently saw this:
https://www.linux-live.org/
But I am dubious is works for arch or manjaro (ootb) ..

Instead .. this query made me start working how to make a bootable system snapshot:
rsync everything except unecessaries but also create an efi stub etc and throw it on a usb.
Not as useful as 'custom iso maker' .. but aw heck ..

1 Like

Depends on how much time I have to do it. If I have only a little time, then it would be a bash script with zenity interface. If there is more time, then I could do python app with gtk3 interface.

I would:

1. create new manjaro-tools profile
  2. for Packages-Desktop, list all explicitly installed repo packages
  3. for desktop overlay, copy the hidden files in $HOME to /etc/skel and remove stuff like browser cache etc
  4. Let user edit the configuration (add services, packages, default user and so on )
  5. Build the iso with build-iso

It is not very hard to script. It would be installable iso like official isos

9 Likes

i am also interested in such a tool. :smiley:

I could be wrong, but I believe PClinuxOS also has a tool for this.

sparkylinux which is based on debian
also has a gui tool but it prevents making iso larger than 4gb

I would also be interested. I am planning to keep all my files on a separate system, so having a custom iso would allow for super easy reinstall in case anything ever goes wrong.

1 Like

Starting with the list of packages installed - explicit leaving out packages from AUR

cut -d' ' -f1 <(paclist community extra core) > my-installed-packages.txt
1 Like
cp $HOME/.* $profile_dir/Desktop-overlay/
for file in cache ssh gnupg; do
  rm -rf $profile_dir/.${file}
done

The latter command probably needs a lot of expanding

that would be a time saver then we could backup all our data if we decided to change machine

For that we would need a checkbox for "include personal data". But yes, that could be done.

3 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark