Is there a way to reliably integrate a cloud storage root folder to local file manager, e.g. Dolphin?

The reason I prefer integration with local file manager is that this way I can easily and directly edit the file, whether using local applications or through terminal, without having to download it first and then copy back or sync upward. People using MacOS and iCloud Drive have this feature.
I have heard about KIO-Gdrive that works with Google Drive but I read many complaints that it can freeze when handling transfer of files exceeding certain sizes. Then there is rclone that works with a bunch of storage services and which seems to be pretty popular but it doesn’t look like it actually allows you to modify the remote file (or does it? I may be wrong).
The best candidate for me is the Mega cloud storage because its developers provides a dolphin integration but not sure how well maintained is the integration package.

1 Like

I don’t know if there is a better solution but I use insync to sync with Google Drive, I’ve found it to be quick and reliable, you choose which folders you want to sync then just edit the files as if they were local and they sync in the background. Most of the files I’m editing are small though so can’t vouch for how it handles larger uploads.

As far as your file manager is concerned it’s just another folder so should work regardless of what you use in that regard.

Does it install in Manjaro? In their download page there is no Manjaro or Arch option to download the installer.

You may want to revisit the way software is handled in Manjaro.

Generally speaking you do not go to a website, download, run an installer.

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Main_Page#Software_Management

Also, does the insync folder appear both in GUI (so that I can open e.g. libre office writer files using libre office writer) and is accessible through terminal?

I see, so insync is available in either of the official repository or AUR?

yes.

9 aur/insync-emblem-icons 3.4.2.40983-1 (+0 0.00) 
    File manager emblem icons for Insync file manager extensions
8 aur/insync-caja 3.4.2.40983-1 (+0 0.00) 
    Caja integration for insync
7 aur/insync-headless 3.1.5.10645-1 (+0 0.00) 
    Google Drive and OneDrive headless client for servers
6 aur/insync1 1.5.7-3 (+1 0.09) 
    An unofficial Google Drive client that runs on Linux, with support for various desktops (version 1.5.7)
5 aur/insync-nemo 3.4.0.40973-1 (+7 0.00) 
    Nemo integration for insync
4 aur/insync-dolphin 3.4.0.40973-1 (+16 0.57) 
    This package contains the service menu for integrating Insync with Dolphin
3 aur/insync-thunar 3.4.2.40983-1 (+17 0.00) 
    Thunar integration for insync
2 aur/insync-nautilus 3.4.0.40973-1 (+19 0.03) 
    Python extension and icons for integrating Insync with Nautilus
1 aur/insync 3.5.4.50130-1 (+297 2.26) 
    An unofficial Google Drive and OneDrive client that runs on Linux, with support for various desktops
==> Packages to install (eg: 1 2 3, 1-3 or ^4)

Though I cant vouch for the packages (AUR) or the software itself (insync OR google)
But it seems folks use it :woman_shrugging:

Yes, installs just fine (I have it running on 2 PCs both running manjaro), it should be in the AUR.

But yes it appears in the GUI and the terminal, it’s not some sort of special folder that insync creates, it’s just a standard folder that it syncs your files too.

I set up a nextcloud/davX instance on a vps and use that on manjaro (and windows at work, and on my phone). Integrates into my home folder in Dolphin
pretty sure it supports mac too.

you can set up a linode vps cheap as there are usually discount codes available ( i think switchedToLinux has a $100 code on his YT channel)

dolphin-megasync package is also on AUR that’s why I express concern about its maintenance in my original post. But it seems like all other cloud storage clients that don’t just sync but also integrate with local file manager are on AUR, would be nice if you can suggest something in the official repos.

From a quick perusal the official repos have rsync,owncloud,nextcloud,cozy,gvfs
Though there is no reason to think that simply because something is in the AUR it is ‘unmaintained’ … it just means it isnt maintained by the manjaro team - so any promises of security or maintenance or compatibility lie with that 3rd party.
But I really cant help more than these conceptual things as I dont use any service the way you are describing.

normally I would use openssh or webdav if I don’t want to synchronize the files on the local disk, but instead cache them instantly on the RAM and edit them.

If you have a server which is capable with the protocols

• ftp (file transport protocol)
  • sftp (ftp tunneled through openssh)
  • dav (WebDAV)
  • afp (Apple Filing Protocol)
  • nfs (Network File System) Should be used on a internal network only
  • smb (Samba, so called Windows Share)

then you can access it on nautilus or dolphin. Everything can be accessed instantly without downloading all files.

Most programs/extensions which are offered as 3rdparty just downloads/uploads (synchronize) the files.

However… For the best compatibility, I would recommend Owncloud/Nextcloud which can synchronize the files with its own client and the files can be accessed through WebDAV instantly.

1 Like

Looking at nextcloud’s website I am quickly overwhelmed with new information. It doesn’t look like your usual simple cloud storage like google drive or one drive, and it’s paid. But it’s also available in the official repo, so do we simply get to install it for free just because we have Manjaro installed? I don’t get it. So do you mind describing what nextcloud does differently than the more commonly known services like mentioned above, and also webdav may be?

OwnCloud or Nextcloud is free and open source. The 2 companies earn money be selling there knowledge as a service with their enterprise version. The Server and Client-Software itself can be installed by anyone freely without restrictions. There is not only one provider for Own/Nextcloud but dozens, since it is not proprietary, Here is for example a list: GitHub - nextcloud/providers: community-maintained list of Nextcloud providers

So what is the main difference?

1. Own/Nextcloud is just the software, not a service like Google Drive.
  2. Any provider can run a Own/Nextcloud and offer it to their customers. So you don’t have stick with one company like Google Drive, but can choose a company you trust.

Not all have a freeplan, some for sure. Effectively you can also run your own Cloud Server this way, if you can.

Also to mention: WebDAV is a Protocol which is also used by Own/NextCloud for synchronization. Google Drive for example has its own proprietary protocol.

The difference between OwnCloud and Nextcloud? → Nextcloud is fork of Owncloud. Owncloud was developed first and because of some problems which I can’t remember right now, NextCloud was born to improve some things of OwnCloud. But at the end, they were similar, but now become different applications.

There’s also pCloud. I’m using a paid version but I think they offer a free plan. It integrates well (for my purposes) in Linux file managers such as Gnome Files and Dolphin using an Appimage install. It does not store files locally but my spreadsheets and other docs open quickly in Libreoffice and behave as if local. There is no need for manually downloading or uploading any file.

One catch is that pCloud’s default cache in the Home folder must be used even though it’s possible to relocate the cache. I have not been able to save edits or transfer files within a file manager when the cache is located anywhere else.

Edit: pCloud developers have been faithfully maintaining the pCloud Appimage for the 2-3 years I’ve been a customer.

1 Like

What’s the consequence of pCloud’s cache having to be located in Home folder? Is it that it can take up a lot of space over time or something else?

By provider, would well known services like google drive or one drive be some examples, although not community maintained? And for your explanation it looks like I can basically choose any provider?

To break it down:

1. Google Drive and One Drive are one package: program and provider is the same company.
  2. OwnCloud and NextCloud decentralize this: The program is developed by the developers and of course the community, but the providing is done by the individual companies that buy an enterprise version for their costumers.
  3. If you have your own server, you would have the community version, where you would rely solely on the community when it comes to support questions.

Yes you can choose basically any provider, since the software is (should be) the same, except maybe the version and which extension has been installed.

1 Like

Use the storage provider https://mega.nz - they provide sync clients for everything.

If you choose to sign up - give me credit :slight_smile: https://mega.nz/aff=udoaGiv3moA - or I can add you can use my contact link https://mega.nz/C!nBkWlZJZ

pCloud cache can be set by the user. The default is 5GB.