Is there a way to get the current stable as a bootable iso for UEFI32?

You can create a custom spin from the repos at any point. If you want a prepared installer then you're stuck with the ones which are available. You might try one of the 18.1 "pre-release" images.

or

Thanks a bunch, i will try that first and then a custom spin. Would i have to use the 32bit Architect and then install the 64bit packages?

All Manjaro ISO is 64-bit.

The only exception is manjaro32 on https://osdn.net/projects/manjaro32/storage.

I have not heard booting using 32-bit efi and installing 64-bit system should be generally available on Manjaro.

EDIT: I did not pay enough attention :slight_smile:

1 Like

" - Grub package got redesigned to support also 32bit UEFI installs."

And here:

the last comment.

But to create a custom spin, i'd have to have access to a running manjaro installation, correct? BEcause i do not have that at the moment.
So i guess i am stuck until grub version from the 19.5.17 stable makes it onto an install iso? Any idea when that might be the case?

the build tools will work from any linux distribution (you'd need to grab/clone them from manjaro's gitlab though) as the process downloads all the packages required to build the ISO from default plus any user designated repositories unless you direct it specifically to use the running host system's.

OR use the manjaro i3 ISO linked to in the 'How to install Manjaro...' and run architect from it to setup any desktop environment you want instead of i3 if you don't like it.

If your goal is to install take a look at this. I've had many different distros boot on my UEFI32 system, both 32 bit and 64 bit. The Manjarox32 is quite good if you like XFCE. I've added Cinnamon over XFCE and that works well too.

Wait, which i3 iso, i am not sure which link in the "How to install Manjaro..." you mean. I did try the method described there, but keep ending up with grub complaining about an unknown file system and dropping me into rescue, unable to mount the stick. Not sue why that happens, since the stick is definitely active and fat32, but that grub version seems unable to handle it. It handles quite fine under other linuxes.

Thanks, i'll try that tomorrow if micsim35's solution doesn't work. Need to catch a bit of sleep before that.

The unknown file system error is from Manjaro's *.efi bootstrap having only the module for reading ISO9960 file format and not FAT32. That's why I cut and paste bootia32.efi from another distro that supports unetbootin (and FAT32), like debian or mx-linux.

Re-reading the announcement, UEFI32 should already be working. The UEFI32 grub install works, but booting a Manjaro 64 bit liveUSB on UEFI32 hasn't been working all summer. My linked post above explains what needs to be on the ISO. Since Manjarox32 works as expected, the necessary pieces are all present somewhere in the Manjaro repos.

1 Like

i did copy over the bootia32.efi though. But i will try that again.
Theoretically, could i use the Manjarox32 install iso to run architect and install a 64 bit system?

Wait, isn't that precisely what the announcement states should work?
Anyway, will give it another shot later.

You may try with 18.1.0-rc8 ISOs.

That did not work.

I found a number of problems with that Howto, starting with the fact that you need to unzip the .7z and put it into the correct place :slight_smile:
I've gotten over the 'unknown file system', but now 'normal.mod' isn't found, although i think i put it anywhere where it would make sense. Does it have to be on the ISO itself, and if so, which path would be the correct one (i think i could figure out that last bit by myself, just asking out of lazyness)

You also need the grub module folder for /boot/grub/i386-efi/ on the liveUSB main partition (not the ESP partition) or it still won't boot. The normal.mod not found is what you get with the right bootia32.efi and the missing folder! Good progress.

okay, will eat first, then smuggle it into the iso and report. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I found better instructions, though at this point, you are almost done!

I'm about to try using Manjarox32 to overlay the .efi folder and i386-efi file onto Manjaro 18.1-rc8 XFCE (64 bit).

Edit: It's easy enough to add bootia32.efi to the EFI partition (MISO-EFI) of the liveUSB, but the iso9660 filesystem is designed as read-only (main liveUSB partition). So it is not practical to delete the i386-pc folder and replace it with the i368-efi folder. My standard hack (with unetbootin) is more expedient. The proper way would be to remaster the ISO.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark