Is there a task manager?

Sort of a stupid question but is there a task manager like in windows?

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean ─ I don’t use Microsoft Windows ─ but if you’re looking for a way to list, sort and manipulate processes, there is KSysGuard. :arrow_down:

You can get the full functionality by starting it from the menu or from a widget, and you can add graphs, sensors, et al. However, there already is a minimalist version of it running in the background, which only shows you the process list, and you can bring that up by pressing Ctrl+Esc.

2 Likes

yeah thats just like in windows thanks.

1 Like

This KDE site lists KDE Applications.

1 Like

If you want something in the terminal, htop is great. I use both htop and ksysguard.

ksysguard is the one you want, yes. But I would also familiarise yourself with the already mentioned htop. You only have to type htop into a terminal to run it and it has on-screen instructions. It’s really useful when you get a GUI lockup and can’t use your mouse to access ksysguard to kill the offending process (A crashed game, for example).

Now in this situation you can try pressing CTRL+ALT+T to bring up a normal terminal or press F12 to open the dropdown one. But you may not be able to access them in this situation. So instead you can use CTRL+ALT+F2/F3/F4/F5/F6 (Only press one of the F keys at a time) to bring up one of the fullscreen terminals which you can open htop from. But you will need to login with your username and password first when using a fullscreen terminal. To exit the fullscreen terminal and return to the desktop environment it’s CRTL+ALT+F1.

You’ll see what I mean if you ever get a lockup like that. It’s the difference between having to hard reboot the computer or not.

2 Likes

This will indeed switch you back to the Plasma desktop, but it won’t exit the full-screen virtual console, because that’s a separate login session.

If you want to close that ─ you don’t have to, but if you leave your computer unattended for a while, then it’s the wiser thing to do ─ then you must log out of it again. You do this by pressing Ctrl+D at the command prompt or by issuing the commend… :arrow_down:

exit

Some great “task managers” are htop(sudo pacman -S htop} and the ones that come bundled with DEs(Desktop Environments) like kSysGuard(htop is the best :wink:)

Yeh it switches you back - that’s what I meant to say.

I also just typed ‘logout’ which worked.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.