Is there a plan to support secure boot in manjaro by default?

I know there are ways to set it up after installation, but I wanted to know that is there any intention or interest in supporting it in manjaro out of the box?

Given that many users who try manjaro are fresh to linux and often dual boot with windows to try it out, supporting it out of the box will reduce the barrier to entry, especially given windows 11’s stringent requirements.

Also, if there is no plan in near future, is there an easy recommended way that can be told to beginners to set up manjaro without disabling secure boot?

https://forum.manjaro.org/search?q=secure%20boot

Thank you for responding. But have you read the solutions to the results? The instructions aren’t exactly simple for a beginner

Yes, there is no simple solution for this problem which requires advanced skills.

For secure boot to make any sense - it should be secure - using a certificate you trust.

Do you trust Microsoft?

What you are really asking is - will Manjaro secure my computer at no cost - that answer is easy - even for you.

4 Likes

No, there is no such plan.

Here is another reason why not

You can follow this as has a link to arch wiki for it if you want it.

8 Likes

“Yes!”

Oh wait… it’s “no”, isn’t it?

2 Likes

There’s no easy way and it won’t be so, because what’s easy from user’s perspective is not really easy to implement for Manjaro devs. This would be one more headache for maintainers.
In the other hand, openSUSE Tumbleweed does support it. Depends on distro resources and priority list I guess.

2 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Secure boot: Emotional discussion

The truth is, any distro that targets beginners and new linux convertees will have to support secure boot sooner or later. Currently it is possible to disable it without much issues, but in the near future, 2 things will happen:

1. A number of devices will emerge where secure boot can not be disabled (there are still now, but a small number only)

2. Windows requirements for secure boot will become more strict.

Between choosing a distro one is unfamiliar with, that requires one to go to bios and change some settings, possibly breaking your already working OS , and sticking with windows 11, a user will choose the latter. Or go with a distro that works with windows 11 without extra configuration.

So its not a question of will, but a question of when. I know its a very pessimistic take and even I don’t want to have anything to do with it, but its sadly the truth of living in monopolistic world. And if manjaro does not do it, another arch based distro that targets beginners (or maybe even arch) will come and implement it, though i can not presently see any that is as polished or relevant

4 Likes

Solution: Buy gear that does not lock the user into a specific ecosystem/vendor

It is a question of when because most people do not care about this, don’t want to think about this, don’t understand it and should not have to think about this. If change is needed then the change must come from the buyers that have something meaningful to choose from. Being overloaded with messages most of the time as a consumer, the choice is artificially made to be shallow and meaningless. Indeed the future is not looking bright in this regard.

Voting with my wallet to make sure there is going to be a choice is my first solution.
Talking with people who are inclined to understand and maybe act on this the second.

I try that too. But the tech literate are far and few in between the crowd of consumers. Secure boot as a technology itself isn’t bad, its current implementation that requires sucking up to microsoft is. If an open consortium of all major tech players and organizations was created that offered signed keys to different OS/distros, and were accepted across all hardware that support it, it would be a much better implementation and possibly provide better security to consumer. But its all wishful thinking for now

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.