Is there a GUI Tool for Grub config editing in manjaro? (as the grub-customizer package had conflicts with manjaro)

as I read here in a post I can’t link (44509) the grub-customizer package was removed from manjaro repos for compatibility reasons. I am wondering through, if there is some alternative. I could of cause tinker with the config files myself, but I would feel more comfortable using a UI to configure it.
(currently I have two windows bootloaders, of which only one works, I need to get rid of the second one… and i want to re-order the options)

TLDR:
I’m looking for a manjaro compatible GUI tool to configure grub.

The manjaro way to do it is:
edit /etc/default/grub as root or with sudo

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

or

sudo mcedit /etc/default/grub

There is a good ARCH-wiki about this

3 Likes

Or just use a polkit-aware GUI editor like ─ in the case of Plasma ─ kate or kwrite. They will prompt you for the password upon saving the file. :wink:

1 Like

There is no gui for editing grub themes - there is a handful different grub themes in the repo.

Another way of editing /etc/default/grub and other system config files is with Double Commander. Navigate to the file, select it and hit F4 to open it in the built-in editor.
When pressing F2 to save the file, the editor will prompt you for the password just as if you were using sudo.

1 Like

Beware of Polkit: PwnKit: Local Privilege Escalation Vulnerability Discovered in polkit’s pkexec (CVE-2021-4034) | Qualys Security Blog

UPDATE: According to Will Manjaro be affected by cve-2021-4034? - #2 by bogdancovaciu , this has been fixed for Manjaro (all branches) so there is at least no issue in Manjaro anymore.

This vulnerability has already been fixed in all branches of Manjaro.

2 Likes

thanks for all the replies, I however don’t see any mention of a GUI tool to manage the grub config. I know how to navigate text editors, both in command line and things like kate.
So I guess the answer is:
no, there is no GUI tool for manjaro to edit the grub config.

If it ends up bothering me too much I suppose I will edit grub through its respective config files (thanks for telling me which file to look for), but as there is no tool for now I will not mess with it and risk breaking it on accident.

Unless the issue with grub-customizer and manjaros default grub config gets fixed eventually (whatever that exactly is). Then I would use that.

Search both here and the archived forum. I’m pretty sure you would be able to deduce the issue. :slight_smile:

You’re probably going to have a nice, long wait.

So, then get busy.

<cough><cough>backups</cough></cough>

I had only found the article about it being removed through duckduckgo, so I hadn’t looked very deeply, I suppose the issue is then, that it is not maintained and does not support current date grub installations and their respective config files. sad, but I suppose there is nothing I can do as end user… unless I learn whatever language it is written in and start updating it… or read through some (arch?) wiki and make my own tool from scratch…

well alright, at least I know why it isn’t available. though I was hoping there’d be some kind of alternative, but it seems anyone, who needs to change anything about their grub just uses text editors… oh well… :person_shrugging:

Anyway, how is that update-grub is finding two Windows installations? At least with this point isn’t it better to fix whatever thing you have in your computer (old ESP entries?) instead of trying to modify grub?

Gollum_Backupses

2 Likes

I have 5 drives, with multiple bootloaders for various OS installs. Just my leftover win 7 bootloader isn’t required anymore. Whenever I have my other drive issues (had two drive failures at once) sorted out I might just wipe that win7 anyways… or get rid of its bootloader, then rescan for windows bootloader in grub ^^

It is not important to this topic now though, so I would like to close the topic if that is something I can do in these forums.

1 Like