Is there a file manager that remembers state between reboots/logins?

Migrated happily from OSX 18 months ago but there is one feature I haven't yet replicated.

OSX has 'open windows again on next login' or whatever its called - I mostly want the same but only for the file manager.

I'm using Manjaro Gnome and am happy enough with Gnome Files, but it's a pain to re-open all the folders I need for work every day. I don't necessarily want Files to re-open them either.

What I ended up with in OSX was Cocoatech's Pathfinder, it remembers which windows were open between launches and additionally allows you to save sets of windows - handy when switching projects. So a second file manager would be quite workable I think.

But do any Linux file managers remember state between launches?

(I used Sunflower on Ubuntu, which IIRC does, but that is not really up to date with manjaro.)

SpaceFM.

5 Likes

mc , autosave option

I also use pathfinder on Mac. you can get nautilus to start at login. but i favour to just use suspend on wake up every thing is as you left it job done. If on a laptop just make sure the battery is not drained before hand,

@mandog All my machines are family ones, so multi-user. My desktop is also tri-boot Win/Mac/Manjaro and keeps getting rebooted - often several times a day!

Put it on this morning - kids had left it in Windows after gaming, rebooted to sync my olde iPod, rebooted into manjaro to work...
Will hopefully retire the iPod rsn, but you get the idea.

It often feels like most desktop Linux devs are all 'everyone has their own laptop' and this type of functionality has gradually waned. I remember when Gnome had rudimentary session management 20 years ago :frowning:

@kdemeoz SpaceFM looks useful, thanks. Do you use the git version from AUR or the repo version? Seems like SpaceFM is mature enough for there not to be much difference.

@lojze Prefer GUI file managers, thanks.

Using Gnome actually you still can its in dconf editor under /org/gnome-session, 2 choices auto-save-session-one-shot, or auto-save-session.
I do see where you are coming from but on the other hand my children and family show respect they ask before using dads computer and use other comps laptops instead.
All our comps dual tripple boot in fact my machine multi-boots many distros i always try to use a system that is best for the job or at least try to, But usually its Gnome due to the simplicity like Mac it just works out the box for me,

Not GIT in my case, simply the Community Repo:

Summary

Actually, this is rather strange, an apparent contradiction:

Summary
[kdemeoz@GA-Z97-HD3-Tower ~]$ pamac info spacefm
Name                 : spacefm
Version              : 1.0.6-2
Description          : Multi-panel tabbed file manager
URL                  : https://github.com/IgnorantGuru/spacefm
Licenses             : GPL3
Repository           : AUR
Size                 : 4.9 MB
Depends On           : desktop-file-utils gtk3 ffmpegthumbnailer startup-notification
Optional Dependencies: dbus: dbus integration [Installed]
                       util-linux: disk eject support [Installed]
                       lsof: device processes [Installed]
                       wget: plugin download [Installed]
                       gksu: perform as root functionality [Installed]
                       udevil: mount as non-root user and mount networks [Installed]
                       udisks2: mount as non-root user [Installed]
                       pmount: mount as non-root user
                       curlftpfs: mount FTP shares
                       jmtpfs: mount MTP devices
                       gphotofs: mount cameras
                       ifuse: mount your iPhone/iPod Touch
                       fuseiso: mount ISO files
Packager             : Bernhard Landauer <oberon@manjaro.org>
Build Date           : 05/03/18
Install Date         : 07/03/18
Install Reason       : Explicitly installed

[kdemeoz@GA-Z97-HD3-Tower ~]$ pacman -Qi spacefm
Name            : spacefm
Version         : 1.0.6-2
Description     : Multi-panel tabbed file manager
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://github.com/IgnorantGuru/spacefm
Licenses        : GPL3
Groups          : None
Provides        : None
Depends On      : desktop-file-utils  gtk3  ffmpegthumbnailer  startup-notification
Optional Deps   : dbus: dbus integration [installed]
                  util-linux: disk eject support [installed]
                  lsof: device processes [installed]
                  wget: plugin download [installed]
                  gksu: perform as root functionality [installed]
                  udevil: mount as non-root user and mount networks [installed]
                  udisks2: mount as non-root user [installed]
                  pmount: mount as non-root user
                  curlftpfs: mount FTP shares
                  jmtpfs: mount MTP devices
                  gphotofs: mount cameras
                  ifuse: mount your iPhone/iPod Touch
                  fuseiso: mount ISO files
Required By     : None
Optional For    : None
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : None
Installed Size  : 4.69 MiB
Packager        : Bernhard Landauer <oberon@manjaro.org>
Build Date      : Mon 05 Mar 2018 23:48:55 AEDT
Install Date    : Wed 07 Mar 2018 23:46:52 AEDT
Install Reason  : Explicitly installed
Install Script  : No
Validated By    : Signature

[kdemeoz@GA-Z97-HD3-Tower ~]$ 

:woman_shrugging:

could you get rockbox on it?

(never too old to rock n roll)

@nikgnomic Doesn't look like the nano 5g is supported. I also listen to a lot of podcasts and I'm fed up having to plug the thing in to sync it all the time - not just because I have to reboot into OSX to do it!
Partly going to a smartphone so I can combine phone and iPod functionality, carry one device not 2.

understand about multiple devices and sync
my OH had a Sandisk player which had an SD card, but only reduced size of problem
and she has her music and audiobooks on phone now

the player with rockbox is now in the van, which has an old mp3 disc player head unit
but burning mp3 CDs was tedious even when it was only 2 or 3 times per year

i am checking out spacefm now and may prefer it over thunar for saving tabs in some work cases
if i have a lot of windows open working on html/css i can sometimes close file manager instead of minimizing.
going back through multiple folders to find the right site version can really mess up my mojo

@mandog gnome-session doesn't seem to do very much these days though.

I use Krusader on all my Linux boxes even if I do not use KDE. I find it the best file manager for my needs, and does remember its state indeed.

@PvonBertoldi Thanks for the suggestion. I installed Krusader and will use it a bit. First negative is one it shares with SpaceFM - it will only restore one window on restarting if you have two open. Better than nothing though!

The tabs are less clunky than spacefm's tho.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark