Is Pipewire ready for daily use?

Even if Pipewire worked for you, Easy Effects in Plasma environment would be a real pain in your neck.
Disregard this. Probably theming issue.

I guess I must be lucky then, been running Pipewire on KDE the past four months without any major hickups.

1 Like

That really depends on your usage. I have in on a different Arch laptop working as well but there I don’t need any recording or effects.

All problems that I have with pipewire are in combination with easyeffects and (horrible) third-party applications (namely, Teams and Zoom).

I’m currently trying it again because with pulseaudio and pulseffects, the only application I need it for anyway is Zoom which also doesn’t work.

1 Like

@openminded
@mithrial
I must be a glutton for punishment. Yet again I’ll try Pipewire, this time without Easyeffects.
Frankly I don’t know why I installed Easyeffects, because having applied R128gain to my music library really negates the use of Easyeffects.
Once again, with feeling, hi-ho Pipewire here we go :crossed_fingers:

Nobody has mentioned r128gain before on this forum. I mentioned use of replaygain on the old forum a few times but there was not much interest

I suspect you have very different audio requirements to other Pipewire users
Easyeffects is needed by users for improving audio from laptop speakers but may not be required for good quality external speakers
Most modern laptops also have digital array microphones that need echo-cancellation to configure the beam-forming options

you might want to try using a minimal audio path that does not require Pipewire or PulseAudio
Set the profile of your preferred audio device to Off
and configure your preferred music player to connect direct to the device in ALSA
(This is similar to kernel streaming /WASAPI exclusive output on another OS, but that it does not bypass the mixer controls in ALSA)

For anyone else having this issue (unable to play audio after system resume from S2RAM), there’s a bug report and it seems the issue has been fixed in the latest Pipewire version:

Error:
client 0x55edc34302f0 [Firefox]: ERROR command:-1 (invalid) tag:1906 error:25 (Input/output error)

HTH

@nikgnomic

As of now I don’t know how to do that, but I’ll certainly find out how. I listen to music through a Klipsch 2.1 speaker. Before the Klipsch I had a Corsair 2500 2.1 speaker.

Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like

Follow-up to my comments on bluetooth:
Everything is perfect for me now. I haven’t encountered issues with bluetooth on pipewire since before 0.3.33. With pipewire 0.3.34, support for battery indicators and aptX-LL codec on headsets will arrive too.

Very nice, ill finally get to make use of the receivers with LL support i have. I also read that it will support “duplex” for LL devices… Which might mean that you will be able to get the audio on 2 devices at same time. Or maybe ability to use the mic with aptx LL? As far as i remember, i read somewhere that the codec is capable of such feat.

On a side note, can someone tell me how long does it usually take manjaro to have updates? Getting pretty anxious, been wanting to try aptx LL for soooo long :). Or maybe some guide that a noob would understand, on how to manually update to 0.3.34.

See #announcements:stable-updates

You don’t. You can switch branches to unstable, which already has this version.
But as you chose to use the word “noob”, I’d not recommend it:

1 Like

But wheres the fun in that, and how does a boy become a man? :slight_smile:

I actually did it, made a timeshift restore point beforehand. Such a beautiful tool. And to think i just learned about it few days ago, in my previous risky ventures that would end with a dead end for my level i would “simply” reinstall manjaro. Probably had 10+ of those till i got where i want to :).

So i switched to unstable branch “sudo pacman-mirrors --api --set-branch unstable” , rebuilt the mirror list without updating packages “sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack 5 && sudo pacman -Syy” and then updated just pipewire and bluetooth related stuff through pamac, didnt update the rest.

And aptx LL works. Difference is noticeable, but imo not something one couldnt live without, especially if BT is used only for videos and music, gaming would definately have bigger benefit.

Thank you a bunch for pointing me in the right direction.

Btw, if now after ive done the update i need, i switch back to stable branch, would be any negative side effects in the future when say 0.3.34 gets there, or i would be ok?

You can switch back to stable you just might not have many updates for awhile as unstable filters to testing then to stable.I been using unstable for quite awhile and had no issues but if you need stable or testing it doesn’t hurt to switch.

1 Like

Yes. You’re now in a partial upgrade state which is not supported. See the following for more info:

1 Like

I might be staying in unstable… Though im thinking maybe “testing” would be some sort of a middle ground with lesser chance of something going wrong, and still getting packages earlier than stable. What do you think?
As for how branches switching work, this is what i understood so far:
Say bunch of packages have version 1.0 in stable and 1.1 in unstable. I switch to unstable and i get the 1.1 versions. I switch back to stable, the packages dont get downgraded to 1.0 because of the branch switch back. Untill a version 1.2 becomes available to stable i wont be getting any updates for the packages. Correct me if im wrong.

Oh, i see. Thanks for the links.
So how do i get out of the partial upgrade state, would just updating all available packages through pamac be enough? Or maybe best would be to go back with timeshift to the point before i made the change, then do it all over and switch the branch, and rebuild the mirrors with update packages argument added - “sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack 5 && sudo pacman -Syyu” ?

Yes.

You are correct. After updating while on the unstable branch, you can switch back to testing or stable and wait for those branches to catch up.

It sounds like the testing branch might be a happy medium for now while you learn more.

3 Likes

This partial upgrade state may sound scary at first but if all you did was simply updating pipewire, you can return to stable without updating whole other bunch of packages from unstable first. The biggest effect you will see is a message that your pipewire packages are newer than in stable each time you run pacman until stable branch finally catches up.

1 Like

Short Answer: Yes

Less Short Answer: My experience with pipewire even in it’s current state is better than my experience with pulse has ever been. It is not without issues, but it has less of them than pulse does, at least for my setup :slight_smile:

The real problem with PipeWire is that because it is so new, there is a lot less information available about how to troubleshoot specific issues on it than with pulse which has been around for a lot longer. E.g. if you run into issues, they’re likely gonna require more effort to troubleshoot on pipewire than on pulse right now due to lack of users.

Unlike pulse however, I was actually able to solve my problems on pipewire which I was not able to solve on pulse, but it required a lot of trial and error.

1 Like

For me no, is not yet ready for daily use.
Firstly because it doesn’t have the ability to have Monitor of built-in audio analog stereo as record source (in this way I can record any audio stream which I’m hearing, is like “record what I hear”).
Secondly because it cause some conflict with an Xfce panel pulgin: AUR (en) - xfce4-docklike-plugin-git
Using pipewire, for an oddly and absurd reason, such plugin crashes.

pulseaudio is very limited (eg doesn’t work with Bitwig Studio - the daw application), but for this need i rely on JACK audio backend and cadence for fine tuning it.

I think, yes! I didn’t encounter any problems yet, while using it.

1 Like