Is Manjaro updating?

I have been having issues with updating to 16.06.1 from RC1 (Manjaro was not rolling automatically), which have thankfully been solved with help from the forum. However, Pacman hasn’t shown me any updated packages in a few weeks (even before I updated from RC1), while my other machine running Linux Lite has updates every other day.

Is this normal for the past few weeks? Or is Manjaro still stuck and not rolling and am I just not receiving updates for some reason? How can I check this?

For the last two weeks ive seen no updates
Is Manjaro still alive & well? Seems so but just checking :-)

There hasn’t been a stable update for about a week and a half. I think Manjaro updates are usually once every one or two weeks, in large batches. First updates are released to those on the testing branch, then a few days later to the stable branch. You can see in the Announcement section that there have been some testing updates recently and when the developers are satisfied they will be released for those on the stable branch. There will be a forum announcement for the next stable update (here’s the last one), so you can look for the update after that. I’d guess this coming weekend.

This short delay and testing provides a bit more stability to the rolling release model that Manjaro uses.

Oh - I replied to your other post. However, now I’m here…

Check your mirrors are current with:

pacman-mirrors -g
pacman -Syyu

You can see stable and testing update release announcements in #announcements.

@Faust I you did what Jonathan said and still don’t receive updates, don’t panic.
I you get to three/four weeks without a large update, then you should start worrying, but anything under two weeks waiting for an update is normal.

@jonathon: Thanks, I know those commands and have tried them. I get the “There’s nothing to do” message, which means… well, that. I’ll look in the announcements section for those posts (@cimarronline: thanks for this tip as well).

@fatboy: my question was more in relation to updates in general. I know the Manjaro stable updates can take a few days, up to two weeks, I read somewhere. But does that apply to package updates in general, such as for installed programs from the repos and AUR? Or do those get bundled in with the stable update run?

For Manjaro Stable, all updates to packages, except for urgent security fixes, are held back until the update release announcement is made every 1.5 to 2 weeks.

So checking the Manjaro repos in the in-between times will show nothing to update.

For AUR, you can enable pamac to check for updates from AUR as well.

This might be useful as well:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=135483

Guys, if there are no updates for weeks, something is seriously wrong.

Please post /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist so we can have a look.

Don’t panic… check

If that does not work… F?ck!!!

:sweat_smile:

See, you can ping the servers on the mirrorlist and have a look if something is wrong.
And yes, if there are no updates for a couple of weeks, something went wrong. It’s not a matter of simply waiting for an update.

The last update to stable, was actually in conjunction with the 16.06.1 release, so yeah, there has not been an update to Stable in a couple of weeks now.

13 days from now actually: [Stable Release] Manjaro 16.06.1

Should be a new one coming soon. You can keep an eye on the Announcement category to see for your self, when a new update is out.

My mistake then, if a couple of weeks means “less than 2 weeks” :wink:

Well, ever since that issue with Manjaro not rolling from RC1 to RC2, and then to 16.06.1, I’m suspicious. I have tried pinging the servers on the mirror list (I have tried 5 different ones, in fact), but I get “Name or service not known” for each try, while Google pings just fine.

Here you have the contents of the mirrorlist file (I edited some out so as not to make the post too long):

Manjaro Linux repository mirrorlist
Generated on 24 June 2016 15:13

Use pacman-mirrors to modify

Time : 0.030
Last Sync :
Server = http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/manjaro/stable/$repo/$arch

Time : 0.039
Last Sync :
Server = http://ftp.belnet.be/manjaro/stable/$repo/$arch

Time : 0.040
Last Sync :
Server = http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/linux/manjaro/stable/$repo/$arch

Time : 0.042
Last Sync :
Server = http://mirror.netcologne.de/manjaro/stable/$repo/$arch

Time : 0.047
Last Sync :
Server = http://repo.manjaro.org.uk/stable/$repo/$arch

I have updated my mirror list multiple times by now, so if anything seems wrong with this list, let me know.

Eh? What are you basing that on? Installed packages or an arbitrary version number?

I think it’s safe to say that nluug.nl isn’t down. I can ping that server just fine (just leave out $repor/$arch).

So, next. Can you install packages ? Just try sudo pacman -S vi in terminal and post output. Say yes if asked if you want to reinstall.

Well, I’m basing it on the fact that on my machine Manjaro didn’t update to subsequent versions on its own. I had to use a solution proposed in another thread in order to solve this issue. Because of this, I think not all problems might have been solved, and that I might still be stuck for some reason. I’m going off the version of Manjaro itself that was installed on the machine.

I have tried pinging NLUUG. The site itself works just fine, but when I try to ping the FTP I get this:

ping: ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/manjaro/stable: Name or service not known

I can install packages and remove them just fine, also from the AUR. This is the output from installing vi:

resolving dependencies…
looking for conflicting packages…

Packages (1) vi-1:070224-2

Total Download Size: 0.14 MiB
Total Installed Size: 0.28 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
:: Retrieving packages…
vi-1:070224-2-x86_64 148.0 KiB 4.82M/s 00:00 [#####################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking keys in keyring [#####################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity [#####################################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files [#####################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts [#####################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space [#####################################################] 100%
:: Processing package changes…
(1/1) installing vi [#####################################################] 100%
Optional dependencies for vi
s-nail: used by the preserve command for notification [installed]
:: Running post-transaction hooks…
(1/1) Updating manpage index…

Apart from that there’s not a “subsequent” version. There’s one version of Manjaro - the one you have installed. The information in /etc/lsb-release is an indicator and doesn’t affect updates at all.

If you are truly concerned, switch branches:

pacman-mirrors -g -b testing
pacman -Syyu

You will get a load of updates from the testing branch.

Then to switch back:

pacman-mirrors -g -b stable
pacman -Syy

and if you want to then downgrade to stable:

pacman -Syuu

I think it’s just a matter of being unused to the rolling release model. “Versions” don’t matter. Everything just keeps getting updated and you never do a major upgrade to a newer version. That’s one of the best features.

The risk in rolling release is that because different parts are continually being updated, it can potentially (and actually) break things. So in Manjaro stable, to help avoid breakages, updates are tested for about a week (by the testing branch users) to try to make sure no major breakages will occur. Or give warnings or solutions to difficulties that will result (like the recent GTK3 update that broke many themes). Then the packages are released to the stable branch users. I really appreciate this feature of Manjaro.

I think it would be best for a new user to try it out for a couple months before messing with the update processes or switching to the testing branch (which is more likely to experience breakages).

Not updating again

Yep. If you can install packages, you’ll also get updates sooner or later. Although i wouldn’t switch to testing if i were you, at least i wouldn’t update. The packages are there, pacman never fails.

Here you go: [Stable Update] 2016-06-25 - KDE Apps 16.04.2, Plasma 5.6.5, KDE Framework 5.23, QT 5.6.1

All the repositories are not up-to-date yet, so if you don’t get updates now, just wait a while then try again. You can check the state of the repos here: http://repo.manjaro.org

Well, I’m getting updates, as is evident by today’s 95 updates waiting to be installed. so I suppose there is no problem.