Is Manjaro Budgie Dying?

Hello All,

I have noticed that the Budgie Community edition is nearly always behind the release cycles of the other community additions. Perhaps it doesn't have such a strong following, but I do like the Budgie desktop - I have been using Solus for a while. However Manjaro is much more popular with more frequent updates and a stronger commitment by the Manjaro team and community than I feel Solus has these days.

I really want to like Manjaro, but I do like the Budgie desktop. So I wondering - since the Budgie DE for Manjaro is always lagging behind, is it slowly dying and will be may be dropped? Should I still consider Budgie a viable option for my Manjaro transition?

Thanks so much,
Cliff

I hope that is not true. I am a KDE user, but before that I used and loved Manjaro Budgie. It is the only way I could stomach Gnome, fixed all of Gnome's issues and actually made the taskbar useful.

1 Like

The problem is that Budgie is harder to maintain for third-party distributions than it is by Solus themselves. Couple that with the fact it's labelled a Community Edition but really maintained by the one person on the Manjaro Developer Team and you will work out why it doesn't get a lot of attention. Time is a finite resource after all. Don't let that put you off trying it but be advised you would be better installing it from Architect ISO at present. All ISO usually contain Architect as well.

Community ISO images also don't usually follow the same release schedule or numbering system as the main manjaro ISO. They are updated as and when time permits or something major warrants one.

Latest budgie-desktop got shipped yesterday to Unstable from Arch.
The maintainer of Budgie Edition simply releases it last, after having released Gnome (1st priority), then Mate. But on a rolling release you don't have to use the newest ISO, you can install an older one and then update. Or you can install with manjaro-architect.

Yeah, I noticed this too... Maybe they will remove it soon from the community release as it often happens with the LXQt release...
Just for you information I installed the oldest version (the only available from website) and after installing and first updating it has broken on me... The kernel was completely vanished making me unable to boot. I give up trying and moved up to KDE but since then I've got a huge tearing, so problematic... Believe or not, Gnome edition has been the less painful of them, however, I don't like Gnome due to its limitation in every aspect and the fact it's too dependent of extensions for any kind of "customization".

Old iso can work only before do a requested update you need to install pacman-static:
pamac install pacman-static
then
sudo pacman-static -Syu
This is all you need to do to update all in general if the isos are old than 18.1.5

Forum are your friend .. Only seem Philip not update tip for pacman-static

Anyway for Budgie need to be checked also for gnome 3.36 since now are out

2 Likes

Thank you. Yes, I understand. Believe me, I'm not faulting anyone or complaining. I was just wanting to get the real current status and ultimate direction for Budgie. I know it is a lot of work and time for someone - that is not me. If it still has some legs, then I will continue to install and use it. Otherwise, I'll leave it as I am leaving Solus and find a different home within the Manjaro world.

I can publish a new ISO based on stable branch later today

Millet seed is usually better for them than sunflower seed. Also, change the water often. Cuttlebone ok?

Maybe the maintainer (@Ste74, I think) doesn't release fresh Manjaro Budgie ISOs as often as are done for other community editions, but so long as the budgie-desktop package itself continues to be updated and maintained for Manjaro (which it is), any installation of Manjaro that has the budgie DE will continue to roll with the rest of Manjaro's updates.

I have a second Manjaro install, that has run nicely on Budgie since around 2017. At that time I didn't know when the next Manjaro Budgie ISO was going to be released and the old ISO was pretty outdated. I didn't want to have tons of updates after installation, so I just went ahead with a fresh Manjaro XFCE ISO, then installed budgie on top of that. Of course, as is often the case, soon after I had set up my install the way I wanted, a fresh Budgie ISO was released.... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

From the March Madness screenshots thread:

1 Like

The ISO can always be build using manjaro-tools or installed using Manjaro Architect.

Please do! ISOs are much easier to work with offline.

Thank you to the Manjaro team for all the hard work and dedication you all put in to this amazing distro.

Here you go ...

3 Likes

Thank you so very much, Phil. It is very much appreciated!

Awesome how quick the Manjaro guys are when it comes to help others.
I really appreciate that !! :+1:

Forum kindly sponsored by