Is Kernel: 5.15.25-1-MANJARO x86_64 an LTS Kernel?

No, older doesn’t mean stable. It just means older.

Also there are no feature that get ported back to older version. There are only bug fixes. However just because a bug gets fix, doesn’t mean this fix can’t create it’s own bugs.

Yeah so while it is under longterm support they do fix “bugs” and while they typically don’t back port features they do back port security fixes. So for example the latest spectre BHI vulnerabilities are patched in the latest kernel however they will back port those into the LTS kernels since they are still being supported when that happens it is always possible that when back porting bug/security fixes that it can create other issues, they of course try to thoroughly test everything but the world of computing and code evolves so rapidly it just isn’t possible to catch everything every time. Personally I typically run on the latest stable kernel myself but I always keep the 2 prior LTS kernels installed in case I need to fallback to them. The way I look at it is storage is relatively so cheap and a kernel in the grand scheme of storage is tiny.

Thanks @winnie
You gave me some self confidence by your reply.
As I started programming as a hobby and doing little programs to help me at work since 1978 (Basic, Dbase III+ then Dbase IV and a little MS Access) and didn’t do any programming since 1997. I was thinking I am an old man and “programing” has changed over time and I know nothing today.

You gave me self confidence because I was believing the ABCs of programming should remain the same.
As you mentioned

I wonder why or how they did it!

Wow @cbDejaVu

This answers my question how it happens.
I owe you a dinner! :clap:

I believe I did something similar during my distrohopping, and I believe this is a very wise thing to do.
I will look somewhere here how to do it as all I remember I should update Grub but cant remember what commands or how to in detail (sorry a bit old man here, I’m 60 years “young”) :laughing:

Sure, this is a rule of thumb in developing software/programming.
I always thought “programming” or writing code is mainly about “debugging”, while I was doing “programming” most of my time and effort was about debugging mainly.

The most user friendly way to change it via the GUI is to launch the Manjaro Settings Manager and then select Kernel.

That interface will show you all the current valid kernels you can have and the type of kernel (real-time, experimental, stable, LTS, etc). From that GUI interface you can easily Remove and Install multiple kernels.

1 Like

I will try to be precise and hopefully I be correct.
Older does not necessarily mean “stable” but it means less buggy than the recent as “older” has been debugged for a longer time.

This takes me again to: Define: Stable!

What a programmer says:

Fixing a bug may (sometimes) introduce 2 new ones
:innocent:

You are right. But my experience if you could focus and look close, be sure you are handling only one single bug not the whole nest or part of it. If you played with the whole nest or part of it you will release most of the bugs!

Anyway programming/ software developing is more to debugging than coding. As far as I know there is no software that has no bugs, no matter how long it is being debugged. There are ALWAYS a bugs somewhere.

@cbDejaVu
I did it and installed

[sudo] password for limo: 
Currently running: 5.15.25-1-MANJARO (linux515)
The following kernels are installed in your system:
   * linux510
   * linux515

especially after we discussed the bugs here and after viewing few posts here about people unable to boot after an update.

Rebooted a few times and switched between both kernels though it was not that easy to access the multiboot menu, it is like very sensitive about the timing of pressing the ESC button. But it is fine.
This is absolutely wonderful and easy anyway.
Thank you for your advice.

Off-topic, but might as well share it. You can edit the file /etc/default/grub and change the menu and timeout options.

For example, you can set the following to show the menu:

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu

And set the timeout to give you 10 seconds to choose before it boots up:

GRUB_TIMEOUT=10

Thanks @winnie

Well, not much off topic as it is still related to kernel and booting to different kernels and fall back!

The only few things that worries me:

1. this is not the default
  2. would this cause any issues while booting?
  3. is there a reason developers didn’t make it the default?

Unfortunately one of the main reasons that let me try other distros after I installed Manjaro a few months ago (August/September) was that it happened several times that it won’t boot normally and had to reinstall. (other old post when I had boot problems rEFInd on a Bootable USB and on System - #16 by bogdancovaciu)

I don’t know if somebody tried it for enough time? Is it ok and stable or caused problems?
May be it is much better keep trying a few times the Esc. F12. F2 buttons uppon restart. :worried:

It’s up to you. This is what the relevant entries in my /etc/default/grub look like:

GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu

When I power on the system, the Grub menu appears and it pre-selects the previously used entry, but waits 10 seconds before continuing.

You have to update Grub after making such changes,
sudo update-grub

1 Like

Thanks @winnie

So, I understand you are already using it! This gives me confidence.
I will do it now and update you.

I don’t know know why but on my computer the esc doesn’t work I have to use shift to get into the boot menu.

It is with great sadness and a heavy heart to have lost such a magnificent person to the bottomless pit of the Grub abyss. If only they had heeded the warnings from their intuition and remained content with the life they grew familiar with. :cry:

We will forever miss you, @limotux! :sob: :wilted_flower:

WHY?! Why did I suggest they try editing the default options in the Grub config? I CAN NEVER SLEEP PEACEFULLY NOW! :weary:

Nevermind. They’re fine. :point_down: Welcome back, @limotux. I had full confidence everything would be okay.

@straycat

AFAIK one is for EFI/UEFI, the other is for the non EFI/UEFI

@winnie
I feel lost! I am still alive and my system is still alive.

Miss me why! I am here. I’m not going anywhere. The worst thing that can happen is that I reinstall!

You mean it was you who suggested they do Grub a it was (hidden) or that you suggested to make the changes that made Grub work nd have options to select?

I saw your profile

Poor undercover agent trying to do even harder than mission impossible.
The replies and your posts indicates to me that you are smarter than attempting this.

I rebooted a few times to the 2 kernels installed and their fallback, then to the latest kernel.
Thank you @winnie for your advice.
I owe you!

Again I have to say the best thing about Manjaro, other than it is very user friendly and smooth, is the community, been ditsrohoping for long time and never found a community like this.

And I have to admit, it seems to me now that the problems I had before was mainly because of me! I was new to Manjaro/Arch and as far as I remember I did funny things that caused all my trouble as I was experimenting lots of things.

Thank you @winnie , and thank you all developers and community for both amazing distro and amazing community. :heart_eyes: :innocent: :hugs: :partying_face: :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

It is OK. Everything is wonderful.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.