Is it worth repairing my broken Manjaro KDE, or shall I go for reinstall, without disturbing my documents in /home

Thank you. I will be back home after about 6 hours, and then copy/paste the logs.

Thanks. I will be back home after about 6 hours, and then copy/paste the logs.

HI @abad.140101

I’ve been there. After a lot of horrible time I discovered that:
BTRFS and Timeshift causes Baloo to reindex the new snapshot. Whenever a snapshot is taken (whether by BTRFS or Timeshift) Baloo reindexes all files in the snapshot. This is of course uses a lot of resources especially you say

What I did was:

• Fresh install, default EXT4, [BTRFS (if you really want it) for boot/System only ] NOT FOR HOME AND USER DATA
  • I installed the previous LTS Kernel just in case.

There is a bug filed at Baloo about it keeping reindexing snapshots.
If you search for a a file you will find same file appearing several times, while it is only the same file in different snapshots and each one reindexed.
Please let me know if this is the case with your files. If so, it proofs what I mentioned above.

Everything is working more than perfect with me now.
And let me know if no BTRFS/Timeshift works for you.

I hope this helps.

No it is not the case. In my case, symptoms worsened AFTER I disabled baloo, and restored system to a snapshot. And even when baloo was enabled, I was indexing /home/abad/Documents only. I was NOT indexing everything in my home folder.

I read it here ("emergency mode" after Timeshift snapshot recovery - #14 by andreas85) that “nowadays it is best to not have /boot as partition”. Some expert may please opine if this is so. I have

• sda1 —> 300mb — FAT32 — /boot/efi
  • sda2 —> Balance (about 922.42GB) — BTRFS — Mounted on /, /home, /run/timeshift/backup, /var/cache, /var/log
  • sda3 —> 8.8GB — Swap

I hope to make btrfs/timeshift work, but for the time being focused in restoring my laptop to a working state. Thanks.

When using btrfs with efi:

• /boot/efi has to be a separate partition because it must be a FAT filesystem
  • /boot is best kept inside btrfs as a subvolume or as part of a subvolume (for example as part of /(==@))

Your kernels should reside inside btrfs at /boot

I edited the boot options — removed ‘quite’

System booted to ‘emergency mode’ with prompt for root password

Output of the first time I gave command —> journalctl --boot=0 --priority=3 --no-pager
No journal files were found.
– No entries –

Here is the output of second command,

In my case, I have flag “boot, esp” on /dev/sda1 which is 315mb fat32

How do I move /boot inside btrfs? Please share a link to step-by-step for someone like me who is not good at linux.

Forget about this, it’s already there. This is going nowhere. Again: Provide info of what you changed/what you installed before system “got slow”.

3 Likes

is o.k. boot, esp = flag of the /boot/efi Partition (fat32 formatted). System needs this.
Do not touch nor move!!!.
BTRFS is the filesystem of sda2. Bad decision to put root and home on the same partition, I repeat!!
Try the following in Terminal: sudo mkinitcpio -P && sudo update-grub
Whats about:
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=337404
Timeshift and ext4 may be easier - but you need another drive, whereas btrfs resides on your sda2…
…btw. your system is waiting for drives, which do not exist 8any longer)
check your fstab if the three drives “timed out waiting…” are mentioned in fstab
And try in Terminal: blkid -o list whether disks / partition exist.

You have /boot already inside btrfs on /dev/sda2 because it is inside / (==@)!

He is in an emergency shell without anything being mounted.
He has to mount root and extract pacman.log or pamac.log or alternatively chroot into system, provide what he did, update, etc.

1 Like

boot does NOT show as a subvolume of /

Here is the output of command ----> btrfs subvolume list /

You are right, please tell him “how to”…
Much time wasted - no result?!
I for my part would have done the following:

• save my data on an external drive via live-medium
  • installed new everything…

At present date/time I am concentrating proper boot of my laptop. One hour back responded to @brahma at Is it worth repairing my broken Manjaro KDE, or shall I go for reinstall, without disturbing my documents in /home - #31 by abad.140101

On second priority is the issue of altering the partition scheme (IF that is desired and possible for reliable timeshift snapshots).

/boot does not need to be a btrfs subvolume !

It is sufficient that it is inside a btrfs subvolume (/ == @).
/boot is inside / (@) !

You find good Information about Btrfs in the wiki

1 Like

Thanks tolerating me. And also for confirming that my partition scheme is good for timeshift snapshot. Puzzle remains that restoring a snapshot broke my system. Or I made mistake somewhere.

your logs are a mess, just do a clean install… and backup your files …

1 Like

Thanks for guidance. My priority is RELIABLE and easily restorable snapshots of Manjaro system as well as /home

My system info is in first message. My partition scheme is
sda1 —> 300mb — FAT32 — /boot/efi
sda2 —> Balance (about 922.42GB) — BTRFS — Mounted on /, /home, /run/timeshift/backup, /var/cache, /var/log
sda3 —> 8.8GB — Swap

I will clean install tomorrow. Welcome any suggestion.
Would it be possible to move /home subvolume to a separate partition?
Is btrfs a good choice?
Is timeshift a good choice?

Off topic

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=402154

We should disable baloo when using BTRFS or ZFS

balooctl status
balooctl disable
balooctl purge
balooctl status
1 Like

Timeshift has some bug for me, but it creates rw (read-write mode) snapshot that would be worse secure than read-only snapshot. btrfs-assistant (GUI of snapper) is a good choice. This is my opinion.