Is it supposed to work to undo deleting files to Wastebasket on a USB drive?

I created a directory on a USB disk drive (BTRFS) using Gnome Files 42.2. I created a new text file. I deleted it into Wastebasket. I clicked “Undo”, but it did not restore the file. Opening the “Wastebasket” on the desktop did not show the file. However, the file could be find under the USB disk’s /.Trash-1000/files directory.

Is this a bug, or the intended behaviour?

With removable devices - this is expected behavior.

Alright, then is there at least a way to see the deletion date and original location of those files in that .Trash-1000 directory on the USB drive, just like the real Wastebasket? It is just a bunch of files all in the same directory on Gnome Files, which makes it difficult to manually “undelete” the files.

Perhaps a configuration? Perhaps something in the docs?

You can always change sort order - or use the search function

Something is wrong. I tested the same thing on Ubuntu 22.04, and deleting a file on a USB drive (whether EXT4 or BTRFS) behaved the same as deleting on an internal drive. The deleted file appeared in the Wastebasket (or Rubbish Bin) and I could undo deletion. Ejecting the USB drive made the deleted file on the USB drive disappear form Wastebasket, but inserting the USB drive made them appear again.

I had not modified any settings of Files on Ubuntu, and I probably did not on Manjaro either. The only difference may be that I had installed Ubuntu in the normal configuration and I had installed Manjaro in the minimum settings. I think I need some more testing.

Re-logged in, re-mounted, and for some reason, now the files in the Trash directory on the USB drive appear in the Wastebasket and undoing works…

Yes - probably - more likely nothing is wrong but you expecting the same behavior from Ubuntu to Manjaro.

Just like Manjaro has created their own default configuration - Ubuntu has likely done the same.

If you want the same behavior as Ubuntu - use Ubuntu - otherwise you need to figure out why the file manager behaves differently on Ubuntu than Manjaro.

Have fun …