Is it safe to install Manjaro like that?

So I’m looking to install manajaro tomorrow, here’s the situation:

1. I’ve gotten myself an internal ssd + a usb 3.1 rack

2.I got my usb flash drive with Manjaro on and I’ve tested it on my desktop pc

1. What’s left is only to install it

Here’s the question about installing this os:

Now I thought about installing it as a clean install on the ssd but here is the problem:

If I install manajaro as a clean install on the ssd(it should be called Gigabyte) ON the Rack and select the ssd from the menu up above will my boot(probably GRUB) be installed on that specific ssd AND ONLY ON IT? Along with everything that should be about Linux?

OR do I have to do it in the painful manual way(aka making all those partitions) ?

I’m preety scared since :
My laptop has an ssd that’s basically dedicated to window 10 and another HDD that has a ton of data on it

I can’t break my windows installation since I have no one to repair and reinstall windows for me and I know how to install Linux only :expressionless:

Edit: Do I have to also change something in the bios ? Like some settings , let’s say like quick/fast boot?

Edit 2 : I can’t unplug any internal drives(SSDs or HDDs) since I’m on a laptop

you should think about backup your existing system before installing anything. better safe than sorry.

1 Like

If your laptop boots in native UEFI mode — and given that you’re using Windows 10, this will be the case — there will be a small EFI system partition on the internal drive. Unless you create another EFI system partition elsewhere, this existing partition is where GRUB will be installed, alongside of Microsoft’s boot loader.

GRUB should normally pick up that you’ve got Windows installed and will add it to its boot menu, but you will also be able to use the EFI boot manager to pick Windows as the OS to boot.

1 Like

@Aragorn

Ugh , I want Linux to be completely separated from windows…

so if I order the installer to install the Manajaro on the other ssd(there are 2 different SSDs here one is plugged in the m.2 and one is usb) than windows is it going to install GRUB ( on my usb rack ssd) or somewhere else ?

Or do I have to order it manually to do that?

It’s getting complicated…

I’m asking since I want to be able to have the rack ssd unplugged when launching windows 10 from the other ssd

Having in mind that grub will install along efi , won’t this mess things up ?

If you have a separate ssd just select correct one and everything linux related will be installed on that ssd only.

1 Like

@zbe

Are you 100% sure ? I’ve seen a YouTube video… It looked like it tried to install grub on dev/sda(like the first ssd)

youtu.be/5-xsVl-e29I

I don’t want that to happen

as far as I know
you will be asked for confirmation
whether or not you want to install Grub - and to which device

If you don’t trust that what you tell it should happen
will actually happen
but rather something else instead
then:
have backups :wink:

… disconnect the Windows drive is also an option …

Most indeededly.

But you don’t have to take my word for it. Install virtualbox/enable hyper-v in windows, create 2 virtual disks, mount manjaro live iso, and run installer in a VM and see where it installs.

@zbe ok , I’ll take a look at Its last message that comes before clicking that I’m sure to partitions and install everything

It should be easier… I don’t want to get vbox es in Windows rn

you have two ways of installing your manjaro on a new ssd:

1. Take a fully automatic install, before clicking install check the disk where it’s going to install/
  2. Part your disk manually, make boot, root and swap (if you want swap on disk)
    If your system is uefi i suggest you to go automatic mode install with choosing btrfs file system, manjaro installer will go to a new not parted ssd
    with this mode you will get dual boot system with grub menu on boot

@scorpp13 ok

And if I unplug the ssd before starting the laptop, will the windows start normally? Like there would be no Linux?

And why btrfs instead of ext4 ?

If you don’t know why, then you don’t need btrfs. ext4 will do just fine.

btrfs is a very advanced type of filesystem, and nobody here uses it as was intended to be used anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

You have to disable fast boot and hybrid sleep in Windows.

You don’t really need to change anything in the UEFI, but I always recommend disabling legacy boot support, because if that is enabled, then most UEFI implementations will attempt to boot in legacy mode first. It is wisest to disable this and make the computer boot in UEFI mode only.

@Aragorn

Fine , this is my solution , I’ll have to go the hard way and do the partitions by hand , wish me luck !

Thanks for explaining this , this is how most people went on YouTube as well :

I’ll use this tutorial for the numbers allocated

1 Like

btrfs: snapshots easy way, optimized for ssd, CoW (no data corruption), good perfomance, support ntfs (easy mount)
ext4: journaled FS, very stable and fast, compatible with early ext FS, suitible for new users

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.