Is it safe to delete desktopfs-pkgs.txt and rootfs-pkgs.txt?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is safe to remove, or at least move to a different place, the files /desktopfs-pkgs.txt and /rootfs-pkgs.txt?
I like to keep my root directory clean, and I find having these files there is slightly annoying.
As far as I can tell, they seem to contain a list of packages/programs installed, but I do not see the use for this, so I would like to remove them. At the same time, I am slightly afraid that deleting files I do not understand from my root directory may break something, or that I may regret it later if they cannot be re-generated and there is a time when I will need them.
In addition, if they have been generated by a program (since I did not create them) will they just reappear if I delete them, and if so is there a way to change where they are created?

While on the topic, is there any use case for these files that I’m overlooking?

Many thanks in advance.

The file content reflect the packages used to install your system - they are auto generated and there are purely informational.

Go ahead and remove them.

1 Like

I found that the files sometimes useful to understand the origin of a package: [Stable Update] 2021-12-10 - Kernels, Systemd, LibreOffice, Plasma, Browser, Thunderbird - #285 by alven
I saved mine just in any further case.