Is it fine to update manjaro every one or two years for a server?

it feels like people using rolling releases just update their system constantly but I just want an OS for a server that I can update once every two years to get the latest version of the software.
I’m currently using Linux mint but their upgrade process is just not working and they always recommend a fresh install. But I don’t enjoy reinstalling and reconfiguring software that is currently working.
Do you think Manjaro can be good feet or are the rolling releases are only for those who update their system often?

Welcome to the forum! :wink:

No, I’m afraid that if you’re only going to be updating your system every two years, then…

1. You will be running software with known security flaws.

2. Updating your system after such a long time is bound to lead to breakage due to the rapid evolution of the software.

If you want to set up a server that will not be updated ─ barring urgent security updates, which you should always apply ─ then your best bet is to go with either Debian Stable or CentOS.

:man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Nope. :rofl:

2 Likes

I’ve marked this answer as the solution to your question as it is by far the best answer you’ll get.

However, if you disagree with my choice, please feel free to take any other answer as the solution to your question or even remove the solution altogether: You are in control! (If you disagree with my choice, just send me a personal message and explain why I shouldn’t have done this or :heart: or :+1: if you agree)

:innocent:
P.S. In the future, please don’t forget to come back to your question after your issue has been solved and click the 3 dots below the answer to mark a solution like this below the answer that helped you most:
Solution
so that the next person that has the exact same problem you just had will benefit from your post as well as your question will now be in the “solved” status.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t advise anyone to ignore their server for years. Arch is being used for servers - so can Manjaro - in fact I use Manjaro as server OS.

Depending on your requiresments and in case the server is running internet-faced services like mail or web it is good practice to keep an eye on the services and regularly keep an eye on the logs.

Even the server may be behind your router’s firewall or similar it is also good practice to firewall the server using firewalld and only allow access to necessary services such as web, mail and ssh - in case the first line of defence is compromized.

I run the server on 5.10 LTS and I check using the checkupdates script to see what has been updated.

All my workstations and laptops run Manjaro and regularly updated so I know if an update may cause issues.

In any case - you should check it on a regular base - and while yearly is a regular too - I would do routine maintenance once a month - of course planning ahead if the server runs important services.

3 Likes

I agree with the statement. The Internet is not a safe place, there is a zero days out there.

There have been 7 Zero Day exploits in OpenSource since 2008…

:man_shrugging:

But I do agree that not patching a server is an extremely bad idea and why I marked the original answer as the solution!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.