[Testing Update] 2024-01-25 - Kernels, Mesa, Calamares, Firefox

Hello community,

here we have another set of package updates!

Recent News:

• Some of our team will attend FOSDEM 2024 in Brussels. You can meet us in person on the weekend of 3 & 4 February 2024 at ULB Campus du Solbosch. We bring some Manjaro stickers and gaming gear to test. It will be a great opportunity to talk about future plans and direction of the Manjaro project, to share our passion with like-minded individuals and get first hand infos about upcoming devices powered by Manjaro Linux!
  • Protect your personal data, keep yourself safe (unlimited devices): 82% off + 4 mo. FREE
Previous News
Finding information easier about Manjaro

Finding information easier about Manjaro always has been a topic that needed to be solved. With our new search we have put all Manjaro data accessible in one place and divided by sections so it makes it easier to digest: New Manjaro search engine is available | Blog

Notable Package Updates:

• Some Kernels got updated
    • this adds linux68 series, which we have updated to 6.8.0-rc1
    • we also changed on how we handle extramodules on that kernel series. Please check if they still modprobe
  • Mesa got updated to 23.3.4
  • Calamares is now at 3.3.1
    • we still have to test our ISOs with this new release
  • pacman-contrib is now a separate package
    • check if packages depend on this one or install if you develop packages on your end as needed
  • Firefox got renewed to 122.0
  • Usual KDE-git, Haskell and Python updates

Additional Info

Info about AUR packages

:warning: AUR (Arch User Repository) packages are neither supported by Arch nor Manjaro. Posts about them in Announcements topics are off-topic and will be flagged, moved or removed without warning.

For help with AUR packages, please create a new topic in AUR and a helpful volunteer may be able to assist you.

Get our latest daily developer images now from Github: Plasma, GNOME, XFCE. You can get the latest stable releases of Manjaro from CDN77.

Our current supported kernels

• linux419 4.19.305
  • linux54 5.4.267
  • linux510 5.10.208
  • linux515 5.15.147
  • linux61 6.1.74
  • linux66 6.6.13
  • linux67 6.7.1
  • linux61-rt 6.1.70_rt21
  • linux66-rt 6.6.10_rt19

Package Changes (Wed Jan 24 21:42:24 CET 2024)

• testing core x86_64: 35 new and 34 removed package(s)
  • testing extra x86_64: 1625 new and 1705 removed package(s)
  • testing kde-unstable x86_64: 203 new and 203 removed package(s)
  • testing multilib x86_64: 21 new and 21 removed package(s)

A list of all package changes can be found here

• No issue, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself.(Please post your solution)
  • Yes i am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)
0 voters

Check if your mirror has already synced:

2 Likes

Known issues and solutions

This is a wiki post; please edit as necessary.
Please, consider subscribing to the Testing Updates Announcements RSS feed

Please RTFT (Read This Fine Thread) first before reporting the same issues over and over again!

:arrow_right: 2024-01-25

polkit update might remove your local modified config

With polkit 124-1 there were changes made to etc/pam.d/polkit-1. So check if you made local changes to the file. See also: https://old.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/19bnj0i/todays_update_moved_polkit1_to_polkit1pacsave/kit2v33/

bashrc-manjaro is now merged into bash

Yes, replace bashrc-manjaro with bash

pacman and pacman-contrib changes

pacman-contrib is now split out from pacman. If you have anything installed that depends on pacman-contrib, update with:

sudo pacman -Syu pacman-contrib

2024-01-11

Making dbus-broker our default D-Bus daemon

2024-01-09 - Jan Alexander Steffens

We are making dbus-broker our default implementation of D-Bus, for improved performance, reliability and integration with systemd.

For the foreseeable future we will still support the use of dbus-daemon, the previous implementation. Pacman will ask you whether to install dbus-broker-units or dbus-daemon-units. We recommend picking the default.

For a more detailed rationale, please see our RFC 25.

– Arch Linux - News: Making dbus-broker our default D-Bus daemon

2023-11-10

Nvidia 545 drivers might have issues

:information_source: Due to various issues including non working backlights on some machines, the NVIDIA 545 series feature branch drivers have been downgraded to the 535 series production branch drivers.

If you are having no issues with the 545 series, there is nothing to do. If you are, you can downgrade to the 535 series with pamac update --enable-downgrade or sudo pacman -Syuu.

So far we know about these issues the Nvidia 545 driver series has:

If you experience similar or new issues please run sudo usr/bin/nvidia-bug-report.sh and post either in an already given post or create a new one, including your generated nvidia-bug-report.log.gz for Nvidia to fix the issue: Linux - NVIDIA Developer Forums

Changes in JDK / JRE 21 packages may require manual intervention

2023-11-02 - Frederik Schwan

We are introducing a change in JDK/JRE packages of our distro. This is triggered from the way a JRE is build in modern versions of Java (>9). We are introducing this change in Java 21.

To sum it up instead of having JDK and JRE packages coexist in the same system we will be making them conflict. The JDK variant package includes the runtime environment to execute Java applications so if one needs compilation and runtime of Java they need only the JDK package in the future. If, on the other hand, they need just runtime of Java then JRE (or jre-headless) will work.

This will (potentially) require a manual user action during upgrade:

• If you have both JDK and JRE installed you can manually install the JDK with pacman -Sy jdk-openjdk && pacman -Su and this removes the JRE related packages.
  • If you have both JRE and JRE-headless you will need to choose one of them and install it manually since they would conflict each other now.
  • If you only have one of the JDK/JRE/JRE-headless pacman should resolve dependencies normally and no action is needed.

At the moment this is only valid for the upcoming JDK 21 release.

– Arch Linux - News: Incoming changes in JDK / JRE 21 packages may require manual intervention

2023-10-21

Mechanical HDDs may not spin-down properly on shutdown

There might be a regression introduced with 6.6.0-rc4 which got also backported to 6.1.59 and 6.5.8 Kernels. There is a discussion with the author of the offending patch ongoing here.

ZFS package changes

ZFS extramodules; i.e., linuxXX-zfs, have been dropped from the repos. There have been recent difficulties building them and no one on the Manjaro Team uses ZFS.

Please install zfs-dkms instead. You will to need to manually remove the old 2.1.13 extramodule package(s) first to install the new 2.2.0 packages; i.e., with linux61:

sudo pacman -R linux61-zfs && sudo pacman -Syu zfs-dkms
Restarting gnome-shell using Alt+F2 and entering R, causes a crash

FS#79884 : [gnome-shell] Restarting gnome-shell using Alt+F2 and entering R, causes a crash

GNOME Extensions that target older GNOME versions will not work in GNOME 45

It is recommended to remove all third-party extensions before updating, then install the compatible versions after updating and rebooting. All Most extensions in the Manjaro repos are already updated.

2023-10-05

glibc-locales update requires manual intervention

If you had the old glibc-locales package from the extra repo installed, the update to the new core package will need manual intervention:

sudo pacman -Syu glibc-locales --overwrite /usr/lib/locale/\*/\*

Previous testing threads:

I needed to remove bmenu and pacui before installing of pacman could take place.
After the update I reinstalled both without a problem.

1 Like

As for me. Pacman wants uninstall bmenu, pacui and rebuild-detector because of conflict with pacman-contrib.
Else pacman ask to remove pacman in order to install pacman-contrib.
So uninstall bmenu, pacui and rebuild-detector, updating and install bmenu, pacui, rebuild-detector and pacman-contrib does the job.

1 Like

No graphic environment after reboot with NVidia proprietary modules.
Reinstall gives errors:

rmmod: ERROR: could not remove 'nouveau': No such file or directory

idem with ttm drm_kms_helper drm

[  396.068779] nvidia: version magic ’6.7.0-2-MANJARO SMP preempt mod_unload ’ should be ’6.7.1-1-MANJARO SMP preempt mod_unload ’
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert ’nvidia’: Exec format error

Similar issue with nvidia_drm

But Successfully installed video-nvidia!

Do you uncompress the modules in initramfs? if so, fix your .ko files.

The issue concerns ALL kernels as mkinitcpio checks and modifies all kernels. And if a user decided to have modules uncompressed it failed a s not the initramfs was uncompressed as it should but changes were made to the host or rootfs in that case. That is the beauty of symlinks.

So if mkinitcpio 37.2-1 got installed and you fall into the criteria you should check your system and fix as needed.

Latest packages should have fixed that problem. There is also a dedicated thread for it.

2 Likes

Upgrade of pacman 6.0.2-16 → 6.0.2-17

looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing pacman (6.0.2-17) breaks dependency 'pacman-contrib' required by bmenu
:: installing pacman (6.0.2-17) breaks dependency 'pacman-contrib' required by pacui
  Updates from system repositories have failed.

@Yochanan you built pacui, maybe a rebuild could help?

Update: Ah, I see the post in Unstable quote by @freggel.doe Thanks!
I updated the Known Issues post.

It may be worth pointing out for some, that pacman-contrib contains pacdiff?

1 Like

7 posts were split to a new topic: I updated the system and reboot doesn’t work

Thanks for the --asdeps hint. Afterwards, my pacman -Qdtq listed firefox, chromium, gthumb and a couple of other (~10) packages.
I reinstalled them, no problem. However, for general use, there should be a more end-user friendly solution for this behaviour.
TNX Samuel

As for:
sudo pacman -Syu --asdeps pacman-contrib

There is following warning at the Arch-Wiki: pacman - ArchWiki

Note: Using --asdeps and --asexplicit options when upgrading, such as with pacman -Syu package_name --asdeps, is discouraged. This would change the installation reason of not only the package being installed, but also the packages being upgraded.

6 Likes

The update for systemd removed /etc/pam.d/polkit-1. This leads to the fingerprint device not being usable when needing to authorize from the gui, e.g. opening pacman preferences. I had to copy back the .pacsave to the original file.

[2024-01-26T11:40:47+0100] [ALPM] upgraded systemd (255.2-2 -> 255.2-3)
[2024-01-26T11:40:48+0100] [ALPM] warning: /etc/pam.d/polkit-1 saved as /etc/pam.d/polkit-1.pacsave

Update was no problem, but new package pacman-contrib was not installed automatically
so script to check for .pacnew files failed due to absent pacdiff

I used:

pamac install pacman-contrib

But if @Ste74 adds pacman-contrib as dependency for manjaro-pacnew-checker the package will be installed when needed by Manjaro users

Maybe has been moved under /usr/lib/pam.d/:
https://old.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/19bnj0i/todays_update_moved_polkit1_to_polkit1pacsave/kit2v33/

https://old.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/19ebmrs/what_modulefile_should_i_use_for_policykit_kde/kjbrtp9/

For some crazy reason a partition on my SSD switched to root access only. I was able to get into Dolphin and change permissions to active user, but damn that was scary.

2 Likes

Although I’ve not experienced it, might I suggest at least the 6.8-rc2 or rc3 since the amdgpu scheduler in rc1 seems to have a reported “hung desktop” issue, among other “annoying issues.” Thank you for understanding.