Is Alderlake Supported?

Hello All,
Is Alder Lake Supported in any Manjaro version? I cannot really find much online about Linux support of the 12000 series other than that they have been working on it, and 5.16 is mentioned a lot but these are all old articles and I am not sure where I would look for the current official recommendation

.So my question: I have a 12700k/DDR4 (I use the igpu). It looks like the current non LTS manjaro release is using 5.15.
Should I look for a distro that ships with 5.16? Do I customize my install of Manjaro to use 5.16? Or would that just be sacrificing stability for performance, and I actually want the LTS kernel even with alderlake?

If you already have it, you could just test with a live USB.

Yes, but I am pretty sure everything will run, it just not necessarily run stability or efficiently.
What I need is someone who has installed different kernel configurations on an alderlake system and tested them for stability and performance.

Like I could just go back to Windows 10, which runs fine, but then I should have just saved a lot of money and gotten a 10700 because Windows 10 does not support the alderlake thread director.

A good news source for that :
Phoronix: AlderLake

5.17 is on it’s way to Manjaro as stable.

Thanks for the link :smile:

Ya, I was just reading around the forum more, and people were talking about using 5.16 on stable months ago. But when I go to the download (Manjaro - XFCE) I see linux515, which I am pretty sure means the 5.15 kernel???

Are the ISOs just like 6 months old and when I install them I will update to 5.16/5.17 right away or what am I misunderstanding here?

The ISOs are 2 weeks old from last stable updates.
They are typically shipped with an LTS or more recent stable kernel but you can install any supported kernel by yourself (with a Manjaro tool or with console) at any time and/or have several kernel installed. The choices are yours, since it’s your system.

Ah, I see. So when a kernel version comes to stable, it does not supplant the current stable kernel, it just becomes a option and in not likely going to be the default choice for awhile?

Thanks for the clarification.

Well, the system usually takes the newest kernel installed and the other ones installed are not actively running (but still available on your system because you installed them). Should a newer kernel release cause some issues (rather rare with stable kernels) you can boot into an also by you installed LTS and probably remove the newer kernel and later try the next release of the faulty one. It’s recommended to have 2 kernels (e.g. latest stable and LTS as backup) installed.

Edit: Not to confuse: When a new kernel e.g. 5.17.0 arrives in stable and assuming you are running 5.15 now you can actively upgrade by installing 5.17. Your choice. Otherwise the system will continue to run 5.15. All upgrades in the same kernel line 5.15.xx will upgrade automatically with system upgrade. You will be informed by Manjarro Setttings Manager when a newer kernel is available.

1 Like

you can go to testing , 5.17 is possible

sudo pacman-mirrors --api --set-branch testing
sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack 5 && sudo pacman -Syyu
sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux517

when 5.17 will be in stable , you can change branch

sudo pacman-mirrors --api --set-branch stable
sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack 5 && sudo pacman -Syyuu
1 Like