#IRC channel #manjaro is no-more

We just got informed that the IRC channel #manjaro got unregistered. So we are currently in progress to re-register ...

On 26.07.20 20:08, freenode.net wrote:
Dear Manjaro Team,

I'm writing to you because Jonathon has informed me that they're leaving
the Manjaro project. Manjaro has an IRC channel on the freenode IRC
network and is a registered group since 2017. That entailed having
someone to act as a designated group contact - a contact point between
freenode and Manjaro. Now that Jonathon is leaving, we're looking for a
new group contact. To find more information about group registration
with freenode, you can visit: https://freenode.net/groupreg

The main namespace channel, #manjaro, currently has 215 users and has
been used to provide support to users. To avoid the channel going
unmoderated, Jonathon has locked the channel for new messages and has
set the following channel topic:

"Manjaro is no longer on IRC. Please read wiki.manjaro.org or
visit forum.manjaro.org for support with Manjaro!"

There are other IRC channels in the #manjaro-* namespace that have not
had their settings changed yet. On your wiki, there's a page about your
IRC channels at:

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Manjaro_IRC

Please let us know if there is someone in Manjaro who would like to act
as a new group contact and look after the IRC channel. If there is no
such person, we can go ahead and unregister the Manjaro group, though
we'd be sad to see you leave.

Best regards,

The freenode Group Management & Community Team

We will gain this classic format back and appoint a new staff group to it.
Follow this thread for updates on the matter.

6 Likes

To be honest I don't really use IRC anymore. Only through Matrix. :slight_smile:

(for that reason, the topic on the #manjaro-arm channel still has info on a very old release. :stuck_out_tongue: )

2 Likes

I can't really speak for #manjaro-arm since I was never there, but I really enjoy #manjaro and there are still people coming every day and asking for this or that. If nothing else, we can point them to this forum. Plus it's nice to have a light chat sometimes.

And afaik its possible to link matrix and freenode channel, so there's that. Ok just joined channel and it seems you already done it for #manjaro-arm. =)

2 Likes

One of the problems with the #manjaro channel on IRC is that it's filled to the brim with Arch users who nary say a word, and who are only there because they've set up a bouncer that keeps them online on IRC 24/7 even if they power down their computers. I used to run an IRC network ─ between 2002 and roughly 2009 ─ so I'm quite familiar with the phenomenon.

Those people have probably already long forgotten that they're parked in the #manjaro channel, or they are only there to show off how l33t they are, but they've got nothing to do with Manjaro, they're not offering any assistance at all, and they're only making an unintelligible jungle out of the nick list, and flooding the main channel window with their ping timeouts and auto-reconnects/auto-rejoins.

In my humble opinion, these people have to go. We don't go messing up the #archlinux channel either. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Sorry but that makes no sense. Most people are mostly idling. And most people have bouncers or some other means of being online 24/7 - me included. There's no 100% assistance anywhere.

Anyway, I can tell you my story from year ago when I installed Manjaro. It took 15 minutes to boot. You know what was first thing I did? (after googling for 30 min) I opened Konversation, connected to irc and asked if anyone has any idea. Someone said install haveged and enable it. It worked. It felt like a faster and more appropriate option than registering on forum. For someone else that might be Discord or Matrix or whatever exists, I can't even follow everything.

Anyway, I guess my point is: xkcd

That's just my point. Why sit there idling 24/7 if you're not going to help anyone?

And by the way, I don't use a bouncer. My computer stays up 24/7. And I left the #manjaro channel because my IRC client kept on throwing up notifications in my system tray because of all of the join and part messages. So I only join there again if I have the time to sit there for a while and actively monitor the channel for someone asking a question.

That person who told you to install haveged may actually have been me.

1 Like

Ok, I have bnc + 24/7 PC. No parts and quits from me unless they reboot server I'm on. :stuck_out_tongue:

Haha nice. I know I offered to buy a beer to whomever said it.

once I used haveged to recover more than 30 machines from our infrastructure that collapsed doing ssl authentications ]. That is a priceless piece of software to huge enterprises.

1 Like

Wait. There has to bemore to that story.. how did haveged do that for you?
I thought its only real purpose was to simulate entropy.

1 Like

SSL is a expensive operation, to solve the keys and perform authentication you need entropy:
https://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/Random_Numbers

So suddenly you have a situation tons of people are authenticating in our case in a mail client which serious performance issues. Suddenly our front ends start to hang no longer answering any commands, cause once the kernel runs out of entropy it needs to stop and generate new numbers cause even the system schedulers needs to pick a process to run! Restarting the machines (our default fixing procedure :joy:) did not fix it obviously.

My colleagues stayed running around clueless, I restarted the machines first without network opened syswatch, iwatch and top to look what was going on. I looked the logs and saw the ssl errors and the kernel block device being used. Did some googling and found entropy was the culpirit, googled for a solution installed haveged in one machine.

My boss did not allow me to install haveged in the other machines, it took us like 6 hours down time to him acknowledge I was right. Of course the telephones were ringing like crazy. Pressed the allowed me to run my show and I recovered all the machines. Other colleagues got a raise I changed team after a while. He still runs that software and the performance is still miserable.

The system in case had about 10k simultaneous users.

1 Like

Ah. That makes sense.
Also .. glad you have moved to greener pastures.
I too feel the pain of incompetent administration. :wink:

1 Like

I'm within the same company

1 Like

Is IRC something like ICQ? From an ancient era? :thinking:

No, it's older and better. =)

4 Likes

Smells like teen spirit

1 Like

IRC is a moderated multiplayer notepad. Like a whatsapp group but with the possibility to host intelligent conversations and no image memes.

2 Likes

I have no idea what multiplayer notepads are ─ I'm not a gamer ─ and I'm not using WhatsApp, so I have no idea what that's like either. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Aragorn, post:4, topic:155478
One of the problems with the #manjaro channel on IRC is that it's filled to the brim with Arch users who nary say a word, and who are only there because they've set up a bouncer that keeps them online on IRC 24/7 even if they power down their computers. I used to run an IRC network ─ between 2002 and roughly 2009 ─ so I'm quite familiar with the phenomenon.

Those people have probably already long forgotten that they're parked in the #manjaro channel, or they are only there to show off how l33t they are, but they've got nothing to do with Manjaro, they're not offering any assistance at all, and they're only making an unintelligible jungle out of the nick list, and flooding the main channel window with their ping timeouts and auto-reconnects/auto-rejoins.

Just use /names #manjaro to fetch their nicknames and highlight/mention them in the channel to get them ragequit the channel :stuck_out_tongue:

zbe, post:5, topic:155478
Sorry but that makes no sense. Most people are mostly idling. And most people have bouncers or some other means of being online 24/7 - me included. There's no 100% assistance anywhere.

Anyway, I can tell you my story from year ago when I installed Manjaro. It took 15 minutes to boot. You know what was first thing I did? (after googling for 30 min) I opened Konversation, connected to irc and asked if anyone has any idea. Someone said install haveged and enable it. It worked. It felt like a faster and more appropriate option than registering on forum. For someone else that might be Discord or Matrix or whatever exists, I can't even follow everything.

Anyway, I guess my point is: xkcd

AFAIK I've never joined the manjaro channel, but my experience with asking help over IRC is the quite opposite. The persons which are "present" don't know it or -even worse- troll you. Waiting till someone helpful pops up takes almost near a complete human life-span.

Overall, I think IRC does not fit for a communication medium nowadays.

1. You are required to run a client 24/7 or run a bouncer (which costs $$$ and time and effort to maintain the vps/dedi you're running on it, and even more $$$ if you use a "boucer-service").
  2. It's a bad medium as information silo.
    A separate service or bot is required to make the channel searchable. Despite that, new newcomes keep coming and asking the same questions over and over again. Granted, you could fill up your channel with bots which spam the help-asker with wall of text of what he has to do. From personal experience, the bot-owner barely gives those "informative" wall of texts an update.
  3. Asking for help derails A LOT to the intelligent of the asker, linkings to websites about how asking help to others (which are too long to read to be honest) and anything else what's not related to the help-question from the start.

vfbsilva, post:17, topic:155478
IRC is a moderated multiplayer notepad. Like a whatsapp group but with the possibility to host intelligent conversations and no image memes.

Do you know Your World of Text? :wink:

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by