"invalid or corrupted packages" at update with no further details

Hello Community!

I still cannot belive that I am posting this, I thought, I’ve seen all variations of “corrupted packages” errors already and know how to deal with them but this time I am stuck.

What happened: I ran the usual update procedure, however pacman reports:

155/155) checking keys in keyring [###########################################################]100%
(155/155) checking package integrity [###########################################################]100% 
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

There are no more details, neither about the package name which causes the problem nor about a key which is out of date.

I tried to follow the usual steps as described in Issues with “signature is marginal trust” or “invalid or corrupted package” and the commands ran through successfully but the errors persist. My last option would be to clear the package cache and rerun the update but I am wondering, why pacman doesn’t show any details on what is causing the integrity check to fail?

Thanks for any input,
Photon

I have the same issues and tried the same steps. The problem seems to be the firefox package on my end.

Thanks for the hint! How did you find it out? Unfortunately, I tried commenting out the firefox package from the update list but still get the same error.

Does pacman-mirrors -f0 work properly? And although the error message should be different does /var/lib/pacman/db.lck exist? If so remove and retry. Just thinking what else might be involved. :thinking:

Sounds like a dodgy download.

Try removing it from your package cache, then it has to be downloaded fresh again.

$ ll /var/cache/pacman/pkg | grep firefox
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  39116492 Feb  9 12:00 firefox-58.0.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

Could also be a corrupt package on a particular mirror, you could try changing mirrors also.

I seem to think when I came across this a while back I searched, found nothing, gave up and did a pacman -Scc and it was fine…

Not very satisfying though.

Yep. I mean, it is not a big deal for me, I am just wondering, what was the reason for it. I ran pacman with the --debug option and each package has been reported to be ok but in the end, out of a sudden, there was the error. But eventually I just cleaned the cache as well and now the machine is redownloading the packages.

Update: The problem persists after cleaning the cache and redownloading all the packages. Ran a mirror check/update and cleaned the cache again, let’s see if this helps.

Update 2: The problem persists even after updating the mirror list and cleaning the package cache. Maybe the problem is not in a broken package after all?

Update 3: This time I cleaned the cache and redownloaded the packages using pacman directly instead of pamac and the update runs through. A bug in pamac?..

closed #8

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.