Introducing: manjaro32.org

i686
manjaro32

My “unofficial” mirror is also getting the +40GB’s. :stuck_out_tongue: And it syncs from Halifax.
Will the regular “sync” and “overlay” folders on the mirrors get trimmed down and purged of i686 packages at some point?

Manjaro 32 bit has been officially dropped, this is a couple of devs experimenting with ways to potentially continue some sort of support for existing systems.

Pull your head in.

With today’s testing update we are one step closer to get the double i686 removed from our repos. We will see if we put Manjaro32 to a different mirror or keep it as is together with Manjaro64.

Approach one is:

• Just maintaining a [manjaro32] repo on top of Archlinux32 repositories, which might break soon or later when not kept up
  • Or do it similar as we do with Manjaro65 using boxit and therefore clone Archlinux32 repositories to our infrastructure and build our packages as needed when time is found. This makes it more stable.

I’m currently working on boxit to get the two projects split in our tools, so two different teams can work on one infrastructure hosted by the core upstream project.

Oh, I didn’t read carefully. I ran sudo pacman -Syu.
Now after running sudo pacman -Suu I had to remove tlp because of dependencies. Then I got issues with reinstalling it because the mirrors x32-unstable refused to allow to download it (forgot to copy the exact message, sth with size). Then I noticed that sudo mkinitcpio -P only applied the [base] hook.

OK, didn’t convert my i686 install yet. We have to see. First I’ve to see on how we get our footprint we currently have down to normal so mirrors having issues can sync from us again.

I sorted out what was wrong with mkinitcpio. /etc/mkinitcpio.conf has got a new syntax recently
MODULES=()
but archlinux32 uses an older version where the syntax is
MODULES=""

So, after running pacman -Suu the user should

sudo mv /etc/mkinitcpio.conf /etc/mkinitcpio.conf.bak
sudo mv /etc/mkinitcpio.conf.pacnew /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
sudo mkinitcpio -P

Ya, makes sense. We have to see.

Now announced on the blog.

Would you consider including an option for a PAE kernel?

A PAE kernel for manjaro32?

Make sure this is also included in the list of other 32-bit capable OS/Distro’s that are still available in 32-bit:

And I hope this is all somewhere on the manjaro wiki that is fairly easy to find?

If this project works then the list of 32bit distros becomes obsolete for the time being.

Which commands do need to be run exactly after throwing

[manjaro32]
Server = https://repo.manjaro32.org/

[core]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

[extra]

[community]

in pacman.conf???

It isn’t in the first post nor on the website.

Running sudo pacman -S archlinux32-keyring gives me 404’s despite running pacman-mirrors --g

1. Is this the spot to post issues with the conversion?
  2. Is manjaro32 going to use its own forum category?
    …if not where should new issues be posted?

…Have made the transition as described but had to remove tlp for pacman -Suu to work & then add tlp after the update. Having issues with some AUR packages not being retrieved:
ckbcomp is a dependency for manjaro-settings-manager
faenza-green-icon-theme has multiple dependecies
firefox-beta-bin update/install reports no i686 version when it seems to be listed in the firefox index page https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/58.0b4/
note: firefox-developer 58.0b4 downloads & installs from AUR & other AUR updates seem to work.

Thanks for you consideration & replies in advance.

@pjpreilly: Best create a separate topic and include there a link to the original post (to get the link click the chain symbol below the original post). And tag the new topic you create with i686 or manjaro32.

@Orajnam: Hm, machines which need PAE (32bit with >4GB RAM) should be powerful enough to build a PAE kernel. As a byproduct they can get one with -march=native.

@RoestVrijStaal: I would wait with that. Manjaro package versions are still newer than those of archlinux32. If you want to test this alpha stage project you should read

@eugen-b What forum would be best for such a post?

Manjaro Development category I would say.

I’ve updated the OP. Please read it through and let me know if there are any obvious sections missing. Keep in mind that manjaro32 is not ready for things to “just work”.

Received Maximum file size exceeded error. I switched to manjaro32 and using Manjaro-hosted archlinux32 packages.

# pacman -S orage
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) orage-4.12.1-3

Total Download Size:   1,51 MiB
Total Installed Size:  5,12 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
:: Retrieving packages...
error: failed retrieving file 'orage-4.12.1-3-i686.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.lignux.com : Maximum file size exceeded
error: failed retrieving file 'orage-4.12.1-3-i686.pkg.tar.xz' from babyname.tips : Maximum file size exceeded
error: failed retrieving file 'orage-4.12.1-3-i686.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.catn.com : Maximum file size exceeded
error: failed retrieving file 'orage-4.12.1-3-i686.pkg.tar.xz' from kibo.remi.lu : Maximum file size exceeded
error: failed retrieving file 'orage-4.12.1-3-i686.pkg.tar.xz' from repo.stdout.net : Maximum file size exceeded
# pacman -S pacaur

Packages (3) cower-17-1  expac-8-1  pacaur-4.7.10-1

Total Download Size:   0,11 MiB
Total Installed Size:  0,48 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
:: Retrieving packages...
 cower-17-1-i686                                                                                                   27,6 KiB  2,69M/s 00:00 [####################################################################################] 100%
 pacaur-4.7.10-1-any                                                                                               72,7 KiB  1085K/s 00:00 [####################################################################################] 100%
error: failed retrieving file 'expac-8-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.lignux.com : Maximum file size exceeded
error: failed retrieving file 'expac-8-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz' from babyname.tips : Maximum file size exceeded
error: failed retrieving file 'expac-8-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.catn.com : Maximum file size exceeded
error: failed retrieving file 'expac-8-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz' from kibo.remi.lu : Maximum file size exceeded
error: failed retrieving file 'expac-8-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz' from repo.stdout.net : Maximum file size exceeded
error: failed retrieving file 'expac-8-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz' from manjaro.mirror.wearetriple.com : Maximum file size exceeded
error: failed retrieving file 'expac-8-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.koddos.net : Maximum file size exceeded
error: failed retrieving file 'expac-8-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz' from mirrors.ustc.edu.cn : Maximum file size exceeded
warning: failed to retrieve some files
error: failed to commit transaction (download library error)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

I smell .db from main server repo in need of rebuilding

Is there any clue from my transition log which failed too:

# pacman -Sc
# pacman -Syy archlinux32-keyring-transition
# pacman -Syuu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 manjaro32 is up to date
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace archlinux32-keyring-transition with core/archlinux32-keyring? [Y/n] 
warning: qt5-styleplugins: downgrading from version 5.0.0.20170311-2 to version 5.0.0-6
warning: syslinux: downgrading from version 6.03-7 to version 6.03-4.2
warning: dependency cycle detected:
warning: libglvnd will be installed before its mesa dependency
warning: dependency cycle detected:
warning: usbmuxd will be installed before its libimobiledevice dependency
(110/110) checking keys in keyring                                                                                                         [####################################################################################] 100%
(110/110) checking package integrity                                                                                                       [####################################################################################] 100%
error: virtualbox: signature from "Andreas Baumann (sign) <mail@andreasbaumann.cc>" is marginal trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/virtualbox-5.2.0-3-i686.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
Do you want to delete it? [Y/n] 
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.