Introducing: manjaro32.org

i686
manjaro32

manjaro32.org

Update: installers

There’s a preview 32-bit installer image available:

Update: getting i686 packages

There’s now a much better way of getting access to the i686 packages and so keeping your 32-bit system going:

sudo sed -i '/# Branch = /c\Branch = x32-stable' /etc/pacman-mirrors.conf
sudo pacman-mirrors -c all
sudo pacman -Sy archlinux32-keyring-transition
sudo pacman -S archlinux32-keyring
sudo pacman -Syu

More details are in the following threads:

Please use the instructions above, not those in the section below.

Other information:

The rest of this post remains for historical interest. It is out-of-date. Do not follow these instructions now.

As a result of the upcoming cease of Manjaro i686 packages I’m starting my own sub-project to build Manjaro packages from their PKGBUILD sources on GitHub and make them available as an overlay repo for i686 (32-bit systems).

The approach is more light-weight than the standard Manjaro approach so packages will not be tested in the same way. Issues may occur, and things may break entirely when I start building against archlinux32 packages instead of those Manjaro synced from Arch.

What you need to know

At this point in time this setup is entirely untested, hence it being in #manjaro-development not #announcements. Please expect things to break or be broken; if they don’t or are not it will be a pleasant surprise.

If there are any 32-bit Manjaro users still around feel free to test this out and let me know how it goes. Please let me know of any issues, missing packages, etc. etc.

How to use it

The basics are in place and need testing. To “migrate” to manjaro32 you need to add the repo to /etc/pacman.conf:

[manjaro32]
Server = https://repo.manjaro32.org/

[core]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

[extra]

[community]

AND either:

1. Switch your /etc/pacman-mirrors.conf manually to the x32-unstable branch, then pacman-mirrors -f0
  2. Switch your /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist content to the archlinux32.org mirrors

Option 1 will use the Manjaro-hosted packages synced from archlinux32. Option 2 means you get archlinux32 packages directly.

Adding [manjaro32] is currently the only way to get i686 Manjaro-specific packages (kernels, mhwd, etc.).

Any and all packages will quite likely be out-of-date until we work out the best way to manage this stuff (and who is going to do what).

[Manjaro32] Getting rid of 32bit Manjaro based on Archlinux
Manjaro32 Conversion Issues
[Stable Update] 2017-11-12 - Kernels, Plasma5, Deepin, Cinnamon, END OF LIFE for 32bit support
[Unstable Update] 2017-11-13 - Removal of i686-architecture in unstable
Running Manjaro on Older Hardware (Pentium 4)
Having trouble updating manjaro32
Problem with pacman database refresh and selection of mirrors
[Stable Update] 2017-11-12 - Kernels, Plasma5, Deepin, Cinnamon, END OF LIFE for 32bit support
Update ,Upgrade undefinierter Key Signatur Fehler?
Very Confused
Website 32-bit update
Why There Should Be A Revival Of Support For 32 Bit Machines
I’m new to the whole Linux thing
Manjaro 15.12
Manjaro 32 bit support ende?
Cant install manjaro32-bspwm 17.1.7 with architect, error with v86d signature
[Testing Update] 2017-11-14 - Removal of i686 in Testing Branch
Can't update anymore, can't retrieve core.db and others
Manjaro32 update from repo.manjaro32.org
[Manjaro32] Getting rid of 32bit Manjaro based on Archlinux
Mabox Linux 17.02 - Manjaro re-spin with Openbox is ready
Error: GPGME error: No data followed by error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.etc.de : The requested URL returned error: 404

i appreciate plain websites.

I gave it a try but immediately got:

error: manjaro-keyring: missing required signature

(I’ve already been using the archlinux32 repos, and they work fine)

I would like to try to install manjaro32 alongside archlinux32 on my netbook (when I wake up).

Can you give approximate guidance how to do that? How to set mirrorlist is the what I don’t know.
The rest I would do either the Arch way with pacstrap or with manjaro-architect.

I’m not sure why, but the packages, despite being signed, are not Validated by Signature. I’ll do some more work on it tomorrow.

You’ll probably need a Manjaro i686 installation to begin with, then switch the mirrors to those of archlinux32, and editing pacman.conf to add the manjaro32 overlay repo. I hadn’t really envisioned anyone starting a new installation, rather keeping an existing one running.

It also seemed to be trying to update linux413, though I don’t have it installed. Not sure what could cause that…

I saw that too and I’ve no idea yet what’s going on there… :smile: I can’t see any package that should be bringing that in…

So, it seems more efficient to start with an archlinux32 install and add manjaro32 overlay and a package like manjaro-bspwm-settings (for example).

But for testing it would be better to act like the majority of the target audience, install a Manjaro i686 system, switch the mirrors to archlinux32 and add the manjaro32 overlay repo.

This is sorted now. linux413 wanting to be installed is not…

linux413 is brought in by ndiswrapper-utils. Not sure why this is built depending on a specific kernel, the repo package doesn’t depend on anything.

$ jonathon@skunk0:/build/packages⟫  ls ndiswrapper-utils-1.61-*
ndiswrapper-utils-1.61-0.17-i686.pkg.tar.xz      ndiswrapper-utils-1.61-14-i686.pkg.tar.xz        ndiswrapper-utils-1.61-34-i686.pkg.tar.xz        ndiswrapper-utils-1.61-9-i686.pkg.tar.xz
ndiswrapper-utils-1.61-0.17-i686.pkg.tar.xz.sig  ndiswrapper-utils-1.61-14-i686.pkg.tar.xz.sig    ndiswrapper-utils-1.61-34-i686.pkg.tar.xz.sig    ndiswrapper-utils-1.61-9-i686.pkg.tar.xz.sig
ndiswrapper-utils-1.61-11-i686.pkg.tar.xz        ndiswrapper-utils-1.61-16-i686.pkg.tar.xz        ndiswrapper-utils-1.61-47-i686.pkg.tar.xz        
ndiswrapper-utils-1.61-11-i686.pkg.tar.xz.sig    ndiswrapper-utils-1.61-16-i686.pkg.tar.xz.sig    ndiswrapper-utils-1.61-47-i686.pkg.tar.xz.sig

So it’s built for each kernel…

$ pacman -Si ndiswrapper-utils
Repository      : manjaro32
Name            : ndiswrapper-utils
Version         : 1.61-9
Description     : Utils for NDIS (Windows Network Drivers) drivers supplied by vendors.
Architecture    : i686
URL             : http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net
Licenses        : GPL
Groups          : linux413-extramodules
Provides        : None
Depends On      : linux413  wireless_tools  perl  ndiswrapper-utils
Optional Deps   : None
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : None
Download Size   : 21.86 KiB
Installed Size  : 61.00 KiB
Packager        : Jonathon Fernyhough <jonathon@manjaro.org>
Build Date      : Sat 11 Nov 2017 23:23:31 GMT
Validated By    : MD5 Sum  SHA-256 Sum  Signature

Repository      : extra
Name            : ndiswrapper-utils
Version         : 1.61-1
Description     : Utils for NDIS (Windows Network Drivers) drivers supplied by vendors.
Architecture    : i686
URL             : http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net
Licenses        : GPL
Groups          : None
Provides        : None
Depends On      : None
Optional Deps   : None
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : None
Download Size   : 22.81 KiB
Installed Size  : 85.00 KiB
Packager        : Bernhard Landauer <oberon@manjaro.org>
Build Date      : Sun 15 Jan 2017 02:55:50 GMT
Validated By    : MD5 Sum  SHA-256 Sum  Signature

I’ve to check this once …

The dependencies and version of the manjaro32 one looks like linux413-ndiswrapper rather than ndiswrapper-utils

@philm @jonathon

Aight guys, what we doing? Is it safe to migrate to manjaro32? Where do I begin?

The answers to those are literally in the first post… :kissing_heart:

@jonathon: I’ve fixed the issue

Maybe I’ll maintain my Wife’s 32bit install (despite the CPU being capable of 64bit) and I’ll set up an old HP laptop which is sitting there (whenever I get time). How about migrating an archlinux32 to manjaro32? I’ll also try that as I have an old toshiba laptop which is running it. Also, which kernels will be available?

Well, we are not yet ready for it. @jonathon started manjaro32 as an extra repo. I however started to work on the other approach to sync from archlinux32. First test-sync was done already. This might create some issues with our mirrors, as we gained a lot of space having both projects, archlinux32 and archlinux on our servers.

Here are the current differences between Manjaro v17.0.6 i686 we have currently in our stable branch and xperimental32_2 I’ve synced from Archlinux32 today.

To access this you simply have to switch to branch xperimental32_2.

Yes, this worked fine for me. The manjaro32 repo works for me also now.

Branch xperimental32_2 and manjaro32 repo are two different approaches! Please don’t mix them.

@jonathon: we should discuss on how we move on. Syncing from Archlinux32 and building the Overlay-Packages on our terms is the way to go. Your approach might soon or later create issues when you’re not fast enough getting your overlay packages updated. I suggest two branches: stable-32 and testing-32. Open for ideas.

I will install a stable Manjaro system now. Then create one btrfs snapshot where I will add jonathon’s mirror and another btrfs snapshot where I will switch to branch xperimental32_2. I will report how it will work.