Internet has been very slow since installing Manjaro

Having used Manjaro for around half a month now and also having switched from Windows, I’ve been getting slower download/upload speeds in Manjaro than what I used to get in Windows. This slower network speed extends not only to regular browsing but to everything else too, Discord calls, ping in games, watching videos on youtube, you name it. I don’t have the best internet ever but on windows I was managing ~18 Mbps Download / ~5 Mbps Upload while on Manjaro I am averaging ~8 Mbps Download / ~3 Mbps Upload. I have tried a multitude of things from changing my MTU to messing with my router settings but the difference has been miniscule at best.

inxi -nz
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
    driver: r8169
  IF: enp6s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>

How can I fix this decrease in network speed

Have you already seached the forum ?

RTL8111

1 Like

If you have the package linuxXX-r8168 installed - remove it - for the past years the kernel driver has been the best.

The kernel version may influence this as well - especially if running an older kernel.

Kernel 5.15 is working flawless with the mentioned realtek nic.

Slow network connection may be a sympton of other issues - often DNS related issues caused by adblockers of various kinds.

1 Like

I do not have that package

I see it in Hardware Config but I can’t remove it, I assume it’s because I don’t have it installed.

What kernel are you running, @remisence ?

5.15.7-1

Turns out it was not a Manjaro issue. The actual problem was that I had the antenna installed on the wrong port on the back of my router. I just installed the antenna on the proper port and that seemed to fix the slow internet speed.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.