Intermittent freezes with graphics-heavy situations

Hi,
I’ve been having trouble with freezes on my recently-built tower, but only when I’m doing graphic-y things – usually working on a large (>100M) file in Krita, or watching browser videos in multiple windows. I’ve experienced this while using both GNOME Shell and KDE Plasma so far.
Once the display freezes, I can’t get a response to any keyboard input (having attempted to switch with Ctrl+Alt+F2), and I’m not sure how to dig out anything useful from journalctl or dmesg or the like once I’ve rebooted.
Where should I be looking, to get more useful information?

(I also see that ‘random freezes are often a hardware problem’, and I’ve gone in and checked that I don’t have some poorly seated RAM or something, but I can give that side of things another check too, especially if there’s something more specific that might be involved.)

a little other information:

inxi -Fxz

System:
  Host: Juniper Kernel: 4.19.0-4-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc 
  v: 8.2.1 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.14.2 Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: PRIME B350M-A v: Rev X.0x 
  serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends v: 3803 date: 01/22/2018 
CPU:
  Topology: 6-Core model: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen+ 
  rev: 2 L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm 
  bogomips: 81468 
  Speed: 3555 MHz min/max: 1550/3400 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 3553 2: 3651 
  3: 1375 4: 1374 5: 1419 6: 1433 7: 1422 8: 1436 9: 1375 10: 1373 11: 1375 
  12: 1374 
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Baffin [Radeon RX 550 640SP / RX 560/560X] 
  vendor: Sapphire Limited driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus ID: 08:00.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.3 driver: vesa 
  resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> 
  OpenGL: renderer: Radeon RX 550 Series (POLARIS11 DRM 3.27.0 
  4.19.0-4-MANJARO LLVM 7.0.0) 
  v: 4.5 Mesa 18.2.4 direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: AMD vendor: Sapphire Limited driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
  bus ID: 08:00.1 
  Device-2: AMD Family 17h HD Audio vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel 
  v: kernel bus ID: 0a:00.3 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.0-4-MANJARO 
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  vendor: ASUSTeK driver: r8168 v: 8.045.08-NAPI port: f000 bus ID: 06:00.0 
  IF: enp6s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 232.89 GiB used: 97.62 GiB (41.9%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Samsung model: SSD 860 EVO 250GB size: 232.89 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 219.28 GiB used: 97.62 GiB (44.5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 
  ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.80 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 39.6 C mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu temp: 38 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0 gpu: amdgpu fan: 1003 
Info:
  Processes: 292 Uptime: 59m Memory: 15.65 GiB used: 1.76 GiB (11.3%) 
  Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 8.2.1 clang: 7.0.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.23 
  inxi: 3.0.27 

Yes, I agree that random freezes are more often than not hardware, rather than software issues, especially if you are stressing your system (which tends to happen with graphicy things…)

If it were my system I would use any Live Linux CD/USB to do:

1. memtest
  2. a hard drive test of the partitions you are booting from/using…
  3. run a stress test such as “mprime”

If the system reports all good with above three tests using a USB/CD based OS then you can almost reject any hardware fault and then start by analyzing dmesg, journalctl, etc…because you then probably have some system/OS fault…

Thanks. I’ve given those tests a go (it took a while to have the time set aside… oops), and all seems good. Unfortunately, this means I still don’t know where my problem lies, and I’m not sure where to look next.

this should help you figure out whats need in terms of commands and other info needed to possibly solve yourself and if not, you can provide info to help others help you

I thought maybe including the inxi -Fxzoutput in my first post and mentioning my attempts to find relevant information with journalctl and dmesg might have indicated that I’d read that post already, but thank you for being sure to cover all bases.

there is info in there about how to pull up xorg logs and journal logs to check for errors. also you may want to search the forum for issues related to your ryzen processor, iirc there are a few of them

I have brought up and looked through logs as described in that post and not seen anything that seemed, with my knowledge, to apply directly to my problem. This is why I was hoping somebody with more specific knowledge might be able to tell me more specifically what to look out for.
Is there any particular reason you think this is related to my processor? A search doesn’t show me threads related to this type of problem.

Why then don’t you share the logs so others may see them as well? IIRC the tutorial says about how to see logs from previous boots.

1 Like

No logs, no errors occurred.

Everyone knows that.

I thought it was polite to check that logs would be of any use before expecting others to look through them, but OK. journalctl from the last boot with a freeze.

I’ll have to create a new tutorial about filtering journalctl output…
I guess you haven’t searched how we usually use journalctl for troubleshooting.
First get errors, then if nothing found get full output.
You have issues with specific situation, focus on that.
First errors, then krita. After a system crash, reboot and check the last part of journal.
Example after a reboot from a crash

journalctl -b -1 -p3
journalctl -b -1 -g krita
journalctl -b -1 | tail -n 70
1 Like

to find answers, one must search for them.

inboth of those posts there are more than a few links to other similar situations.

1 Like

Oh, the freeze-on-idle issues? Looked like a different set of circumstances… I’ll definitely give the C6 fixes and the other ones linked a try, though. Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.