Intermittent Boot Issues on PineBook Pro

Greetings

I just got my pinebook pro in last week and I'm having issues with booting.

Right away, I got the Manjaro setup process then on reboot, I got the orange to green led sequence but no back light on the screen. After a few power cycles I was able to boot into Manjaro. Every other power cycle the issue returns though. I can do a hard poweroff and power back up and it fixes the issue; though, it sometimes takes 3 or 4 power cycles to fix the issue. There seems to be no relation between power connectivity across boots as I have read in posts on the PBP forum. I have also tried switching ttys and trying to reboot through the serial console, as if the screen were just blanked, which was also fruitless.

My girlfriend has a PBP that came in the same day. She is not seeing this issue despite taking the same steps that I did.

I'm not sure where to start with debugging this. It looks like a hardware issue given that its not happening on both PBPs; but, I don't want to rule out the possibility that the Manjaro setup script botched something. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks God I'm not the only one having this issue... I've been struggling with Pinebook Pro support for 3 weeks about this.

I found that installing ChromiumOS or DebianOS on the eMMC works perfectly and boots successfully 100% of the time.

I tried installing Manjaro I3 version instead of the default Manjaro that came with the Pinebook Pro. I still get the same issue that 50% of the time when the pinebook pro boots up the screen stays black and I have to force shutdown holding the power button.

Just to add I had an intermittent version of this with the same blank screen every one out of five boots. You are not alone.

Unfortunately since I botched the big July update (removed the corrupt module 'breeze') I'm having other problems getting the hardware to do anything at all! Good luck finding a solution.

I think you might need to investiligate kernel boot parameters for grub, they may help.

I'd also test masking tlp as a troubleshooting step. Search those terms on the forum for directions.

hi tbg - as far as I know grub is not present on the Pinebook pro, it uses something called 'u-boot'. I'll see if I can find tlp as I have no idea what that is.

Thanks for taking the time to consider what might work. Best wishes

Alex

solved! The Pinebook forum (pine64.org) suggested trying a different SD card: at last a result! Thanks again for taking time on this.

Best wishes

Forum kindly sponsored by