Interesting AMD Ryzen 3000 article from Phoronix

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ryzen-3700x-3900x-linux&num=1

2 Likes

there is trouble with version linux & systemd after 5.09 ,
waiting when it will be Ready with latest kernel

1 Like

I wonder if this is what is affecting new laptops with Ryzen 3500U and 3700U.

Can't install Manjaro (or any other distro) 3500u

About the bug. I don't think this have anything to do with latest linux kernel. But a bug with newer versions of systemd. Make me wonder how OpenRC and runit will fair with the right kernel config.

If I were to update. I'll upgrade mobo but keep my cpu, ram, ssd/hdd. And upgrade gpu to RT 3700. That way I don't get hit with half speed lost for using pci-e 3 vs 4. I hope cpu will still work. Since it the same AM4 socket.

Edit. Yes it look like it will work with ryzen zen+ cpu but not zen 1.

Really interesting no? Another review here

I think after years of building Intel my next desktop is going to be AMD. At about what I spent for the I7-7700 I could have gotten either the 3700 or the 3800. Never had an AMD machine and want one. Also from what I read the Meltdown/Specter isnt nearly the problem.......

1 Like

Ryzen 3500U and 3700U are 12nm Zen and not Zen2. The 7nm Zen2 products for the mobile platform will be numbered 4xxxU

Interestingly the beta AMI PI 1006 firmware released for my B350 PC MATE from MSI has been withdrawn because it caused issues for some Raven Ridge users. Time will tell as to whether they bother fixing it and releasing a new version or end support for AM4 upgrades on this board with Zen+.

The board description at present points to the latter option:

• Supports AMD® Ryzen 1st and 2nd Generation/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and A-series / Athlon™ X4 Processors for Socket AM4
2 Likes

Chart show that x570 will not support Zen 1000 but will support 2000. Hint on my Idea on what I should update to x570 mobo. I was not talking about everything over all not working from zen and zen+ mobo or BS350/x370 mobo. Chart still stand. I was asking myself if my 2700x cpu will work on a x570 mobo. that way. If I ever needed to update my 2700x will maybe be 4000 series cpu. since x570 and BS550 should work on as will.

My main reason why I want to update is for the pci-e gen 4. Other wise everything else is going be the same but little bit slower on the older motherboards.

Yes your CPU will work on an X570. It's listed for the MSI Godlike X570 at any rate with 7C34v11 firmware which is the release build. However, the PCI-E 4th gen is still specific to using a Zen2 CPU as the controller is on the CPU die so you'll get that should you eventually upgrade the CPU as well.

I'll pass on the $700 usd mobo. Way out my spending rang. But it look like most of them or if not all them will still support zen+. So I look around. But time to buy for me. Will be another couple of month down the road. By that time. Thing will stable out on linux side by that time.

1 Like

that was just an example and yes there are cheaper options. anyhow please heed my advice, adding your 2700X to any X570 will not get you the PCI-E 4.0 you desire. You will need the Zen2 processor as well, so a few months may turn into at least a year of saving or waiting for prices to fall on those too.

2 Likes

Just going take baby steps. What the most logical way on spending path vs blowing my budget I don't have.

from tom's hardware:

We spoke with AMD representatives, who confirmed that 300- and 400-series AM4 motherboards can support PCIe 4.0. AMD will not lock the out feature, instead it will be up to motherboard vendors to validate and qualify the faster standard on its motherboards on a case-by-case basis. Motherboard vendors that do support the feature will enable it through BIOS updates, but those updates will come at the discretion of the vendor. As mentioned below, support could be limited to slots based upon board, switch, and mux layouts.

1 Like

I got a Ryzen 9 3900X yesterday with a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra motherboard and I can confirm the exact same issue when trying to boot my Manjaro install that Michael had at Phoronix. I'm waiting on an update, but my previous processor is a Ryzen 7 1700 which isn't supported by the new motherboard. Any word on an update?

have you tried running the 1700 in your motherboard? PCGH tested an 1800x in a x570 and it worked just fine (German video): https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Mainboard-Hardware-154107/Videos/X570-fuer-Zen-2-im-Test-mit-ryzen-1800X-1293069/

On which kernel ??.

Does it also affect the 3700X with X470 motherboard?
Has anyone tried it?

You might have a kernel panic. AMD Navi gpu are not supported till 5.3. Unless there a kernel patch to support it. And 5.2 kernel just came out not so long ago.
https://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_5.2

Does linux5.2 fix the problem for Manjaro or systemd?

Have you tried reading the article? He was able to use kernel 5.0, 5.1, and 5.2 on Ubuntu 18.04. Witch is using older versions of systemd. It not the kernel fualt can't boot. But newer versions of systemd at fualt here.
2nd page is where he talk about it

Complicating this issue further is that when trying Linux 5.0/5.1/5.2 kernels on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, they all booted up fine! Hence it doesn't appear to simply be a kernel regression but either some kernel+systemd interaction issue happening just on AMD Ryzen 3000 series processors or some awkward thing happening with the X570 chipset.

To me. Its systemd issues.

1 Like