Install GRUB on the same SSD where is installed Manjaro

Hi to everyone
My question is: there is some metod to install GRUB on the same SSD where is installed Manjaro?
Like happen on Ubuntu for example.
At moment of the installation of Manjaro, it let me to install GRUB or on SSD where is installed Windows 11 (i don’t want install there) or on HDD that i use like database. i’ve installed on HDD
I want install GRUB on same NVME where is installed Manjaro. There is some metod to do this?
Thank you very much for who will help me.

Sorry for my english. It’s not my language and it shows.
Bye

Welcome to the forums.

1. Are you booted into a live usb and trying to configure installation the way you want it OR have you already installed the OS and now want to reconfigure grub to a different drive? Either way, I think the output of lsblk -f would help.
  2. Based on your message there are 3 different drives involved - an SSD with Windows, HDD data drive & an NVME on which you want to install Manjaro? Are any of these removable?
  1. I have already installed the OS, and i would like reconfigure the grub in the different drive, on the same as the operating system.
  2. i have 2 nvme (first where is installed windows 11, second have installed Manjaro), 1 SSD and 1 HDD that i use like data drive. Actually the grub is installed on HDD (sda1).
    I hope was clear
    Thank you for interest at my question.
    This is response of your command:
NAME FSTYPE FSVER LABEL UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINTS
sda                                                                         
└─sda1
     ntfs         Various&ISO
                        52D0C59AD0C584A7                      533,3G    43% /mnt/52D0C59AD0C584A7
sdb                                                                         
└─sdb1
     ntfs         Play&Images
                        F8268F31268EF044                                    
nvme0n1

└─nvme0n1p1
     ext4   1.0         5d1edef8-9fc5-44bc-bb5b-ff0d8389311d  346,8G    19% /
nvme1n1

├─nvme1n1p1
│    vfat   FAT32       683D-A5A7                                           
├─nvme1n1p2
│                                                                           
├─nvme1n1p3
│    ntfs         Windows 11
│                       7E903F28903EE5F5                                    
└─nvme1n1p4
     ntfs               F8C87892C878513C          

:warning: Before you do anything, make sure that you have backups of important data and unplug any removable disks to ensure an accidental command does not affect it.

The high level steps are these:

1. Boot into the live USB (a Manjaro one that you installed with for example).
  2. Shrink partition nvme0n1p1 down by about 512 MB (or 1 GB in case you have Nvidia HW and are doing early load of modules etc.) using KDE partition manager or equivalent on other desktop environments.
  3. Create a new partition on nvme0n1 using the newly available space with file system FAT32 (this is your target partition where grub will be installed).
  4. Chroot into your Manjaro installation and install grub on the newly created partition. This wiki article walks through the steps - GRUB/Restore the GRUB Bootloader - Manjaro. The article is about restoring, but in this case creating is similar.
  5. You’ll need to update /etc/fstab with the newly created partition.

You’ll most likely want to get rid/overwrite grub entries on nvme1n1p1. I believe you can do this using Windows rescue disk.

The above steps may differ slightly depending on whether you use UEFI or BIOS boot

Finally enter BIOS and update disks priority list if needed.

Useful links:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GRUB

1 Like

Maybe i rresolved

I’m not able to resolve, need help!
I have reduced the partition of Manjaro, leaving a 1GB FAT32 (nvme0n1p2, partition is imposted as boot partition from gparted)
After i do
sudo grub-install --force --target=i386-pc --recheck --boot-directory=/boot /dev/nvme0n1
Actually the terminal say grub installed without errors, and the partition nvme0n1p2 have efi folder in
But at bios startup appaer me only previous boot options, but not the new.
Why?

Did you run sudo update-grub?

You’ll probably have to select the new grub in the UEFI/BIOS.

I solved !!
I just followed this guide: UEFI - Install Guide - Manjaro
I was wrong the command to run to install grub
Everything is OK now
This is the right command that i did run:

sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck

After that i have mounted the new partition in right place :smiley:

one last thing, how should I modify the fstab file so that it automatically mounts the partition on /boot/efi at startup?

Only this I did not understand.
I don’t even know if it’s necessary to say really

Then you followed the wrong section of GRUB/Restore the GRUB Bootloader - Manjaro.

So you installed grub to the old EFI partition?

Update the UUID, which can be found with lsblk -f.

I’ve installed EFI in NEW partition. On same nvme of manjaro.
All work fine
The guide posted by wpkg was not clear, at least for me, but i guess it was fine anyway
Also i’ve update fstab. It was easy.
Finally everything work very well

Thanks for your support, to both.
Thank you again :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.