Intel to AMD migration

Im taking out my X99 Intel® Core™ i7-6850K CPU and Mobo and replacing them with an AM4 X570 AMD Ryzen 7 5800X CPU and mobo. Should I pre-install anything before I shutdown the Intel system for the AMD stuff to work, or just put the stuff in and reboot?

Thanks!

The mobo should work out of the box, but if you have embedded graphics card you need to install the driver after 1 boot, press CTRL+ALT+F2 to open a terminal and follow instructions here, Configure Graphics Cards - Manjaro

2 Likes

Thanks, I have a dedicated card as the Ryzen 7 5800X does not have integrated graphics. I’ll be running the same Vega56 that is on the X99 Intel system. Be back in a bit with a shiny ‘new to me’ AMD system :o)

To keep going down the open source road, I guess I have to save up for is a POWER9 IBM next! lol

you will have to change ucode , remove intel-ucode and add amd-ucode,
add this on boot kernel “processor.max_cstate=5”

1 Like

TLDR: Manjaro booted fine with no interference from me. I changed the mobo and CPU and moved all my old gear, and it worked.

I’m not sure how I do this, or check that it’s happened. I see ‘cstate5’ in your comment, and it reminds me of power management stuff. I have all power management stuff (power saving/ suspend/ hibernate) and thermal/ ANY throttling disabled in the BIOS, and instead just have max temp auto shutdowns enabled, and use fancontrol+fancontrolgui with fancy ramps I drew to override and control my fan speeds.

you will have to change ucode , remove intel-ucode and add amd-ucode,
add this on boot kernel “processor.max_cstate=5”

Not a Manjaro issue, but the only major problem I ran into is that I didn’t have the correct adapters for migrating my CPU thermal apparatus (corsair H100). I bought an aesthetically pleasing one online (be quite-black-blowdown type), but wanted to ensure the system worked, so also bought a cooler master locally (duplicate of one I already owned - but with AM4 adapters) and installed it with 2 fans, one of which I pillaged from the old cooler I had that also didn’t have AM4 adapters. I posted to BIOS and made a few changes that I require, then saved the changes. The system booted Manjaro faster than it did before the upgrade, and I didn’t even see any changes or experience any difference other than noticeably faster boot time.

The other things I missed also unrelated to Manjaro were that the motherboard has an additional 4pin power head for the cpu/mobo in addition to the 8 pin one that the old one had which I don’t have plugged in yet. I will buy a molex or satapower adapter to solve that. The heat sync on my nvme ssd does not fit under the two pcie x16 cards that I have mounted in their slots, as the pcie x16 slots are essentially over both nvme slots.

Thanks again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.