Intel® Iris® Xe: free or non-free drivers?

No, Intel has fully open source drivers for Linux, thus no non-free drivers.

What kind of lag? Could referred to wayland or xorg. Maybe also non-existing gpu acceleration (video encoding) in zoom.

It’s not “free vs non-free” in regards to Intel Iris Xe.

Just remove the obsolete package and reboot:

sudo pamac remove xf86-video-intel

And make sure you’re not using any custom video/GPU .conf under /etc/X11/ and its subdirectories.

Hi megavolt, first of all, thanks for your kind reply.
Ok, so basically I don’t have to look for alternative drivers since I already own the best ones (free).

I had to disable Wayland in order to use screenshare on Zoom (Im using xorg). Zoom declared will fix this in the next 5.11 release. I suppose, but not sure, gpu acceleration is not present in screenshare session of Zoom, this could explain why on Win11 it performs way better. Is there a way to implement the feature or I’m forced to wait for Zoom Developers to improve the application?

Thanks winnie. I’m using the clean configuration coming from a clean installation with free drivers.

Did you remove this package though?

1. Please read this:
    [HowTo] Provide System Information
    and press the three dots below your post and press the :pencil2: to give us more information so we can see what’s really going on.
    Now we know the symptom of the disease, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies… :grin:
  2. An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width would be the minimum required information for us to be able to help you. (Personally Identifiable Information like serial numbers and MAC addresses will be filtered out by the above command)
    Also, please copy-paste that output in-between 3 backticks ``` at the beginning and end of the code/text.

No, but I will follow your hint doing it. :wink:

Since I’m actually on a different PC, I can’t do it. But later I will surely follow ur steps here. I didn’t expect so much support here, many thank to everyone, guys! :beers:

No idea. If it is not implemented in zoom, then you have to wait for the devs, but if it is just a missing library, then it could be done.

It must be Gen11 - Ice Lake Platform

In general, if ffmpeg can do this, then zoom should be able to do this aswell: Hardware/QuickSync – FFmpeg
Just try some commands there to see if gpu encoding works.

Package for gpu encoding/decoding: intel-media-driver + intel-media-sdk

1 Like

Ok, then, i attached system info as requested by @Olli
And i removed the xf86-video-intel as requested by @winnie
@megavolt I tried 2 commands from there, having this output:

   ~  ffmpeg -decoders|grep qsv                                        ✔ 
ffmpeg version n5.0 Copyright (c) 2000-2022 the FFmpeg developers
  built with gcc 11.2.0 (GCC)
  configuration: --prefix=/usr --disable-debug --disable-static --disable-stripping --enable-amf --enable-avisynth --enable-cuda-llvm --enable-lto --enable-fontconfig --enable-gmp --enable-gnutls --enable-gpl --enable-ladspa --enable-libaom --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libdav1d --enable-libdrm --enable-libfreetype --enable-libfribidi --enable-libgsm --enable-libiec61883 --enable-libjack --enable-libmfx --enable-libmodplug --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore_amrnb --enable-libopencore_amrwb --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-libpulse --enable-librav1e --enable-librsvg --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libsrt --enable-libssh --enable-libsvtav1 --enable-libtheora --enable-libv4l2 --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvmaf --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxcb --enable-libxml2 --enable-libxvid --enable-libzimg --enable-nvdec --enable-nvenc --enable-shared --enable-version3
  libavutil      57. 17.100 / 57. 17.100
  libavcodec     59. 18.100 / 59. 18.100
  libavformat    59. 16.100 / 59. 16.100
  libavdevice    59.  4.100 / 59.  4.100
  libavfilter     8. 24.100 /  8. 24.100
  libswscale      6.  4.100 /  6.  4.100
  libswresample   4.  3.100 /  4.  3.100
  libpostproc    56.  3.100 / 56.  3.100
 V....D av1_qsv              AV1 video (Intel Quick Sync Video acceleration) (codec av1)
 V....D h264_qsv             H264 video (Intel Quick Sync Video acceleration) (codec h264)
 V....D hevc_qsv             HEVC video (Intel Quick Sync Video acceleration) (codec hevc)
 V....D mjpeg_qsv            MJPEG video (Intel Quick Sync Video acceleration) (codec mjpeg)
 V....D mpeg2_qsv            MPEG2VIDEO video (Intel Quick Sync Video acceleration) (codec mpeg2video)
 V....D vc1_qsv              VC1 video (Intel Quick Sync Video acceleration) (codec vc1)
 V....D vp8_qsv              VP8 video (Intel Quick Sync Video acceleration) (codec vp8)
 V....D vp9_qsv              VP9 video (Intel Quick Sync Video acceleration) (codec vp9)
    ~  ffmpeg -encoders|grep qsv                                        ✔ 
ffmpeg version n5.0 Copyright (c) 2000-2022 the FFmpeg developers
  built with gcc 11.2.0 (GCC)
  configuration: --prefix=/usr --disable-debug --disable-static --disable-stripping --enable-amf --enable-avisynth --enable-cuda-llvm --enable-lto --enable-fontconfig --enable-gmp --enable-gnutls --enable-gpl --enable-ladspa --enable-libaom --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libdav1d --enable-libdrm --enable-libfreetype --enable-libfribidi --enable-libgsm --enable-libiec61883 --enable-libjack --enable-libmfx --enable-libmodplug --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore_amrnb --enable-libopencore_amrwb --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-libpulse --enable-librav1e --enable-librsvg --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libsrt --enable-libssh --enable-libsvtav1 --enable-libtheora --enable-libv4l2 --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvmaf --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxcb --enable-libxml2 --enable-libxvid --enable-libzimg --enable-nvdec --enable-nvenc --enable-shared --enable-version3
  libavutil      57. 17.100 / 57. 17.100
  libavcodec     59. 18.100 / 59. 18.100
  libavformat    59. 16.100 / 59. 16.100
  libavdevice    59.  4.100 / 59.  4.100
  libavfilter     8. 24.100 /  8. 24.100
  libswscale      6.  4.100 /  6.  4.100
  libswresample   4.  3.100 /  4.  3.100
  libpostproc    56.  3.100 / 56.  3.100
 V..... h264_qsv             H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10 (Intel Quick Sync Video acceleration) (codec h264)
 V..... hevc_qsv             HEVC (Intel Quick Sync Video acceleration) (codec hevc)
 V..... mjpeg_qsv            MJPEG (Intel Quick Sync Video acceleration) (codec mjpeg)
 V..... mpeg2_qsv            MPEG-2 video (Intel Quick Sync Video acceleration) (codec mpeg2video)
 V..... vp9_qsv              VP9 video (Intel Quick Sync Video acceleration) (codec vp9)

your problem isn’t the graphics-driver. the problem is the governor setting that forces the pc to powersave and turns it into a lame duck.

driver: intel_pstate governor: powersave

below to a similar discussion how to optimize the behaviour:

Did you notice any difference with Zoom after applying all the above changes?

This output says nothing about whether it works. In fact, I get the same output :wink: You must de/encode some videos to see it.

That could be a problem, but even if in powersave mode, it acts like in conservative mode: It clocks up if needed but tend to clock down as soon as possible.

I see, so what’s the procedure to check? I’m not a video maker, is there any test to perform?

Did you notice any difference with Zoom after applying all the above changes?

Me neither… maybe try handbrake and choose the qsv encoder. I have no intel hardware here which can use it, but I use nvenc. Maybe it detects the correct codec itself. :man_shrugging:

grafik

After removing xf86-video-intel I noticed no difference in the screenshare quality using Zoom.

Will do and let you know, thanks.

Then even though you’ve done things to better your system overall (removing the inferior driver, installing the media driver / SDK, and rebooting), it seems this is likely a specific “Zoom on Linux” issue?

Yeah, it seems to me that Zoom is using CPU during screenshare session.