Intel celeron N3150 - which kernel should I use ?

I have small computer with a Intel Celeron N 3150 CPU, 8 GB RAM, 250 GB SSD and an audio card from ESI (ESI Audio Julia).

Actually, I use kernel 4.19 LTS.

The system is a bit slow now.

Would an older LTS kernel (e.g. 3.16 LTS) improve the system speed ?

It could be:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-416-54&num=2

If you want to improve the performance I would start with recommendation given here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Improving_performance

In this threads you also see some findings:

I will have a look at the link to archlinux wiki.

@mbod it would be interesting to see some comparison figures for kernel 5.4 as well if you are up for doing it and have the same hardware still

See the first link in my post.

4.19 is still the best overall then for data intensive tasks, hopefully 5.5 will be optimised better. I have to say though, I'm using 5.4 and haven't really noticed anything taking too long. I guess if I was number crunching a large dataset it would have more of an impact but the flexible I/O figures would mirror my experience, hardly any difference.

My old laptop had the same generation CPU. I had great results with kernel 4.14. Any newer kernels felt buggy and/or slower.

1 Like

Unfortunately I can not help with that. I have moved to Ryzen CPU and to a new nvidia card.

EDIT: I did a quick round of benchmarks with my new hardware with krenel 4.14, 4.19 and 5.4. The speed of darktable on CPU is as follows:

5.4.11:   9,67 +/- 0,05 s
4.19.95:  9,54 +/- 0,03 s
4.14.164: 9,30 +/- 0,05 s

This is the average darktable runtime for 6 runs each. There is no significant performance difference from my point of view. The slowest kernel 5.4 is roughly 4 % slower than kernel 4.14. And the difference between 4.19 and 5.4 is ca. 1 %. This is without any practical relevanz.

1 Like

Is the same for me: I'm on the old Ivy Bridge platform, which despite the fact that still performs quite well, I noticed that the Kernel 4.14 make me feels the whole system snappier.

Furthermore, by checking here https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html the Kernel 4.14 is set to EOL on Jan, 2024; the 4.19 on Dec, 2020 and 5.4 on Dec, 2021.

Actual screenshot of such page (I noticed that sometimes these dates are changed):

Nobody can tell other than you. Install it, run some benchmarks, observe how it feels with you workflow. (Maybe a blind test, let someone else select the kernel at Grub menu while you wouldn't look.)

For me 4.4 always used to perform the best, but I need some features from newer kernels.

If you are adventurous, maybe build linux-clear from AUR with -march=native.

1 Like

Thanks for doing that anyway. It's what I figured in the end from the phoronix results linked to above, the random I/O indicates normal usage is pretty much the same across the board. thanks anyway, I may be installing Linux on my Ryzen system too in the near future. My two business systems already run manjaro and a few others on different hot pluggable drives. My Ivy Bridge laptop with maxed out RAM and and SSD is a great portable tool (recently needed a new battery and heatsink fan but still going strong otherwise after 5 years usage) for running virtual machines which lends itself to demonstrating and educating converts from Windows.

Me too, have you noticed on the kernel.org site they recently aligned all the EOL dates? 4.9 used to be longer than the others, if I recall right it was 2022. I guess they want to simplify matters which is only fair for Greg KH.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by