Hibernation device 'UUID=xxx' not found. None of the solutions working, how do I get the data from the storage then go for a fresh install?

As the title says, I started my laptop running Manjaro linux and I get the hibernation device UUID = XXXX not found error. ‘You are now being dropped into an emergency shell, sh: can’t access tty; job control turned off’.
None of the commands are working, not even sudo, grub, mkinitcpio, etc, absolutely nothing. None of the solutions I have seen online are working. I am sick of this and not willing to spend any time on this anymore, how do I just get the data from the storage and save it somewhere else so that I can wipe it with a new installation?

In grub, you should be able to edit the kernel parameters and remove the part that looks like “resume=UUID=40346435-d703-431f-801b-16e28237cd64 resume_offset=276393984”, and your system will probably boot. Then, once the system has successfully booted, you can probably edit /usr/default/grub and remove those parts from the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line to prevent the issue from happening again.

I’m not 100% sure this will work, but it’s worth a shot if you just want a usable system. If you need hibernation, you’ll need to research it on the Arch wiki. It’s totally doable, and hibernation works for me after my research, but it’s definitely not a one-click process for the average user.

Where in grub? How to get there? when I vi anything, it shows an empty file. How do I just get the stored data in my device and move on?

When you start your machine, do you have a grub menu for about 5 seconds before your system starts ?
In that case, press [E] to edit and remove what @Buju told you.

I don’t I can only get into BIOS

You could start with a live system, chroot into your system, remove manually the unnecessary part in /usr/default/grub and then sudo update-grub, it should be ok

Spam/flood the Escape or Shift key right from when you power the laptop (tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap) to force showing GRUB menu. From here do as said, press E to edit your startup command line, boot. Then you can either fix the system, or get your data.

2 Likes

The correct path is /etc/default/grub.

Thank you a lot!
The Manjaro/Grub boot menu did not appear. I did as you said and worked the esc and shift key during boot …
Than I could select Advanced boot options or something and then select manjaro fallback to boot my system. :slight_smile: