Insurgency performing bad on brand new install compared to Mint 20

Thats a decent guess - 5.8 is rather new and your hardware is rather old.
(3rd gen intel)
I doubt it will get much benefit from new kernels … and might even hit regressions.
If I were you I might find a good LTS and stick there
(until checking the next LTS, or for some feature you really want)

Still though … I think that besides that … TLP is one thing, as it wont be present in mint by default … so you could disable that too, and the other is the compositor … it can be tweaked or replaced … but for testing purposes you might try turning that off as well.

Nope, still sluggish. Disabling tlp didn’t work either.

Huh.
Another thread clued me into a possibility that hw-accel might not be quite right …
Can you check for these packages:

pacman -Qs 'libva-intel|intel-media'

And maybe

vainfo

I’m talking to some guys on the lutris discord server, they said that I should try to disable xfce’s compositor, so I did, and it actually fixed it, it runs on-par with mint now. I don’t get it however, since Mint uses a lot of animations and crap that slow down the OS, but I didn’t notice an FPS improvement on games when I switched to XFCE with the compostior off there… It’s weird.

Do you still want me to check those packages?

Well … I did mention it 3 or 4 times :wink:
And I still think its possible that on your Mint … you werent actually using XFWM compositor because of installing XFCE over Cinnamon.
As I said before - you can tweak XFCE’s compositor, or even replace it with a less crazy one like compton.

You could check those packages for fun, but probably not much profit.
Though who knows … it might return something mystifying.

I don’t think that I want any performance hit for some shadows on windows honestly. Most of the time I have applications maximized, so they don’t even show. I’ll try to disable the vulnerabilities and see if I really get that 50% performance improvement, on my chip you can guess how desperate I am for any extra frame.

Hah. fair enough … then yeah, remove all extra power/throttle stuff, etc.
Compositors are actually helpful … when done properly it can cut down on tearing.
(though raw-performance-wise … stopping tearing cuts against framerates … but why get 150fps if it clips, as opposed to 100 without?)
And … they do things like transparency on windows and such …
But yes - depending on need and setup … I used to either rock without one at all … or use something like compton to just do the ‘smoothing’ stuff, but no shadows or anything, so it didnt really cost much. (we are talking old atom netbooks here)

Scrolling does feel a bit sluggish yeah… how can I replace the compositor with compton? I’ll see if it makes a big impact, if not I’ll keep it.

Theres a handful of ways … and I have since lost my personal set up …

Heres a rough guide from the wiki:
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Using_Compton_for_a_tear-free_experience_in_Xfce
(feel free to look up slightly different methods [remembering you arent using ubuntu], and/or to cut down on options, etc)

Also … if you want a quick ‘tune-me-up-scotty’ tool … take a look at this
(please either use default values or if you use script with --custom-values please research first)

Actually I think I may be better off if I find a way to disable it for games… lutris does have an option that reads “Disable desktop effects” which I guess means compositor, however it does not fix the lag. xfce settings have an option called “Display fullscreen overlays directly” which I guess means to turn it off on fullscreen apps, this doesn’t work either (it was already checked). I could try to set a script that runs when any game runs that disables it, but I wouldn’t know how to disable it with commands.

I has a script for that too … but its built for compton … just need to find the xfwm compositor name …

Ah OK.

Please check with these 2 commands:

xfwm4 --compositor=off
## look for shadows and stuff ##
xfwm4 --compositor=on

If that works then I will give you the (modified) script.

( PS - heres is reference to the backend tweaking of regular xfwm compositor that may be useful: Xfwm 4.14 Compositor Troubleshooting Guide / Desktop / Xfce Forums )

Says “could not find a screen to manage”. Guess we need to set the DISPLAY env variable?

Suppose so.

echo $DISPLAY

should tell us

It was already set… here’s the full output:

╰─ xfwm4 --compositor=off                                                                        ─╯
xfwm4-Message: 20:57:49.664: Another Window Manager (Xfwm4) is already running on screen :0.0
xfwm4-Message: 20:57:49.664: To replace the current window manager, try "--replace"

(xfwm4:3106): xfwm4-WARNING **: 20:57:49.664: Could not find a screen to manage, exiting

Adding the --replace option to the command seems to have done it… however the command doesn’t exit.

Oh. replace. hah. gotchya.
(the constant running is technically fine … but I added a & to help … you can close the terminal after)

xfwm4 --compositor=off --replace &

And again with ‘on’ of course.

If I exit the command manually with Ctrl+C the screen flashes and retains the setting (if the command said to turn it off, it keeps off, and viceversa). If I put the & at the end I guess that makes it run in the background, but then I would have to find the process in task manager to close it right? Couldn’t it have problems to keep it running in the background? As I would like to disable it when I run the game, and enable it when exiting it.

Not really … you are just seeing what it would technically be doing in the background … because you launched it in your terminal emulator.

But

No worries … I found a better way by using their own toggle.

xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/use_compositing -t bool --toggle

That should work dandy.

Ok you’re officially god in my eyes now. Thanks, from the bottom of my heart, honestly.

Btw, if anyone wants to make pre-launch and post-launch scripts for lutris, I recommend setting it to false/true respectiveley instead of toogling it, this is how you’d do that:

xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/use_compositing -t bool --set false
xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/use_compositing -t bool --set true

hah. Well, I still have some things to answer for then :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But … lets make this a bit easier on you:

Create script (maybe at ~/.local/bin) toggle-compositor.sh with

#!/bin/bash
xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/use_compositing -t bool --toggle

Then make it executable: chmod +x ~/.local/bin/toggle-compositor.sh

Now … you should be able to simply type in toggle-compositor.sh to run it.

But … even better … you can create a desktop file (for an icon or whatever) and/or assign a key combo to it.

Example desktop file (in ~/.local/share/applications) toggle-compositor.desktop with

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Name=toggle-compositor
Exec=/home/USERNAME/.local/bin/toggle-compositor.sh
Icon=computer-symbolic

… or some such … I wrote that really fast … but you get the idea.
Cheers. Have fun.

EDIT - oh I see you are putting the on/off as pre/post lutris options, thats also a good way to go :+1:

1 Like

This could be nice if I can’t/prefer not to run the game with lutris, thanks again!

EDIT: Hmm… lutris doesn’t seem to run the scripts. Could be a permissions thing? The log doesn’t show anything, and if I manually run them, they do work both, and they do have the desired effects (framerate increases).

1 Like