Installlation of Manjaro - boot error

Is this a Legacy installation? Or EFI?

I have seen this if I have not asked Calamares to format the partitions its going to use.
No idea why this should be so but it never fails if I do the above!

Thank you, Mirdarthos, for answering my post. I will look in the BIOS to see if fast boot and disabling RAID are pretty obvious there. Why are these important?

• Jim

Growler - If I understand Legacy, then no, it is not, since I installed Manjaro on a machine running Linux Mint. Before that, it was running Windows. Not sure what EFI is…

• Jim

Robin0800 - I think I understand what you mean. I simply allowed the installer to erase any existing partitions.

• Jim

Hi @JimK

UEFI (sometimes referred to as EFI) is now the standard technology used to boot a computer, although both UEFI and the previous MBR boot (Legacy) system are still possible. However, these two technologies are mutually exclusive.

When multibooting, for example, you can’t use both of these technologies at the same time. Though, this isn’t strictly true, as there is a subset of a UEFI base motherboards called the Compatibility Support Module (CSM), which emulates a traditional BIOS boot; which does arguably allow both.

However, for the sake of simplicity, it’s best to use either one or the other; especially in a multiboot environment where having CSM enabled can be detrimental to an EFI-booting OS successfully launching. To ensure only UEFI booting is used (on a UEFI-capable machine), one must usually change a few settings in the BIOS.

The boot scenario you have should also inform the tools and procedures used during installation and maintenance. The distinction between UEFI and Legacy booting is important, and I suggest you learn as much as you can about the differences between them, before progessing much further.

Is it this this computer? The site is http but I checked it and it seems fine, just VERY old. :smiley:

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit including downgrade rights to Windows® 7 Professional 64-bit.

Should have efi, just has to be enabled in bios probably.

This machine looks to have been manufactured circa 2013 (an educated guess); it should be UEFI capable, though the implementation may be flaky (as many were of that vintage).

The manufacturer site doesn’t seem to list a service manual or user guide of any kind, which might have been helpful. Nor possible BIOS updates.

Once the EFI booting preferences are properly configured in your BIOS, the Manjaro installer (Calamares) should detect this and install Manjaro in UEFI mode without much further fuss.

1 Like

What?
Iiieeeh… I might have add:d out of my mind and spent an hour looking for that computer yesterday, I just did not want to admit that here so I only posted the link.

Here is the mobo: Specification CSM-H87M-G43 | MSI USA
Administration manual for that mobo: https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/M7823v1.0_EURO.zip

I spent way more time nerding myself down on that computer than I want to admit… :blush:

Well, that isn’t the 8 year-old PowerSpec B722 computer that the OP mentioned, is it? :wink:

U sure about that? Sometimes it’s better to stay quiet and listen.
ADD can be both my biggest enemy and my biggest super power.

Unless two motherboards has the EXACT same name, this is it.
Release Date 2012-03-29

Edit
I have read the whole manual (again, ADD), and the strange thing is there is no mention of efi, but they also do not go through the “base settings” menu in it witch is where I would assume the setting is, only overclocking, memory timings and stuff.

But it should def have efi.
Does not seem to support fastboot other than they call memory training “fast boot memory training” (should prob be set to auto) so the board should be good for linux after making sure efi is being used.

I think @bedna points to the correct board - it took me 10s to find it

http://www.powerspec.com/systems/system_specs.phtml?selection=B722

PowerSpec® B722
Use the links below for in-depth information on the specifications shown.

|System Board|CSM-H87M-G43|

That’s been known to happen (different revisions), but point taken. The computer manufacturer site, however, doesn’t list much; as I said.

2012 though – that’s even older than I’d guessed – which places an element of doubt on the UEFI implementation; but nothing major to be concerned about, I think.

Yes, it’s linked to on the computer manufacturer site.

Some mainboards of that vintage only supported UEFI by virtue of experimental BIOS upgrades; as was the case with a Z68XP 6th Gen board I once had. The original specifications likewise made no mention of UEFI.

No it’s not, you have to copy the motherboard model number and search for it… xD

But I wont comment more about this, us bumping our egos is not useful for OP in any way.
Please let us know how it went @JimK

I didn’t use the link - I wanted to see how deep I would have to go to find it.

It took two searches

1. computer model name
  2. board name provided on vendor’s web
1 Like

Well, the installer command is for a legacy install

Mint and Win can/could be installed in either legacy or uefi.

If you boot from your live usb, open a terminal and run:
inxi -Fazy
and you’ll see the partitioning scheme of your ssd under ‘Drives’; if it says scheme:MBR then check in your bios to make sure it’s set to ‘Legacy’ boot (or ‘CSM’). If it says scheme:GPT your bios must be set to ‘UEFI’ boot.

Thanks to you, @Midarthos and @bedna. I am so impressed at your eagerness to help, and at your tenacity in getting to the bottom of things. I have not had the time to get to work on my computer. I promise to get back to you when I have something to report, hopefully a resounding success.
FYI, I don’t have any experience with negotiating multiple replies. I am going to copy this message to the other correspondents in this string.

• Jim

Thanks to you, @growler and @robin0800. I am so impressed at your eagerness to help, and at your tenacity in getting to the bottom of things. I have not had the time to get to work on my computer. I promise to get back to you when I have something to report, hopefully a resounding success.
FYI, I don’t have any experience with negotiating multiple replies. I am going to copy this message to the other correspondents in this string.

• Jim

Just add the @whoever’s in one post; that should work. :slight_smile:

Thanks to you,@soundofthunder and @linux-aarhus. I am so impressed at your eagerness to help, and at your tenacity in getting to the bottom of things. I have not had the time to get to work on my computer. I promise to get back to you when I have something to report, hopefully a resounding success.

• Jim