Changing kernel setting

I would like to change the following kernel configuration: CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_FTDI_SIO

It is current set to m but I would like to set it to y. It seems like this is changed in /usr/src/linux, however, my /usr/src directory is empty. Any ideas on how to change this kernel config property?

You have to build your own kernel

Is there a work-around? I am working on an embedded system and as part of its documentation is says:

The FTDI driver is maintained in the Linux mainline kernel, the configuration options below must be activated in the Linux kernel configuration to operate the USB-to-Serial converter

CONFIG_USB_SERIAL
    CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_FTDI_SIO

Is there someway to confirm these are activated?

zgrep CONFIG_USB_SERIAL /proc/config.gz
zgrep CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_FTDI_SIO /proc/config.gz

That should check those params …

If you want to set them yourself you will have to compile the kernel yourself.

m says, it will be compiled as loadable module.
y says, it will be compiled directly into the kernel.

This is no runtime-configuration, but compiletime configuration.

In most cases it is best to select m

When you boot, the module will be loaded automatically into the kernel if a FTDI-Device is present at this time. If you add one later, often the module is automatically loaded by UDEV. If not, you can create your own UDEV-rule to do so. Or you can load the module by script.

Is there a real reason why you need ‘y’ (compiled dirtectly) ?

Why do you want to change it? Sounds like an XY Problem: You’re asking about your attempted solution rather than your actual problem. This leads to enormous amounts of wasted time and energy, both on the part of people asking for help, and on the part of those providing help.

There’s nothing to work around.

Period. That’s how it works.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.