Installing to video-nvidia-470xx driver breaks Manjaro on my hardware

Hello!

New to the forum and Linux in general, so please forgive me if I dont provide sufficent info.

I have been using Manjaro Linux with huge smiles since last year November. Games ran better and the whole process of using the pc was smoother and faster.
Was though.
When I first installed Manjaro, games used to have this unbearable fps stutter whenever the mouse was moved. I changed to video-nvidia-470xx drivers and the problem went away for a while until yesterday, when trying to replay games like Halo MCC, Dark Souls and even CS:GO, the stutter returned. I looked at the installed drivers and the video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-470xx-prime was installed. I took to playing with fire and tampering with the drivers again. Switched to 470xx drivers in hopes of it fixing the problem and restarting. When the computer turned back on the usual /dev line appears, but Disabling IRQ#16 also showed up. I waited for a stupid amount of time for the PC to load, but it just didn’t. I reinstalled Manjaro at the cost of loosing all of my files, and tried the same thing but the problem persisted. After my multiple tests, it seems if I install video-nvidia-470xx and restart the computer, it will brick my system and force me to reinstall.

Sorry for the dramatic attitude but I really do feel lost and confused.
It’s a pain retrying all the time bc I have to upgrade system wide and install to a supported kernel and the whole process for me takes +/- 30mins bc terrible internet.

Sorry for the lack of technical info but again, im very new and ill try my best to provide any of it, if required

It sounds like you have an optimus (dual-gfx) system … as in an intel iGPU, and a dedicated nvidia dGPU … this is handled by PRIME, hence the profile, and works by running the intel by default, and initializing the nvidia with prime-run.
Between power draw and performance output - this is what the vast majority of users desire.
And you probably do too, even if you havent realized it until now.
Steam games? Set the launch options to prime-run %command% … now it runs on the nvidia.

Another example you can test in the terminal:

glxinfo | grep 'renderer string'
prime-run glxinfo | grep 'renderer string'

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Configure_Graphics_Cards

If you really want to force disable the intel graphics and only ever use nvidia all the time, then let us know, as that is a slightly different configuration.

PS. For finding and sharing system information see this:

1 Like

Thank you for the suprisingly fast reply.
Yes, my system is a optimus system as you have described it, but I’ll get back to you with more info and results as I am reinstalling Manjaro again and I will try and use your provided tips for the games.
But that still leaves me with my question of how can the video-nvidia-470xx throws out the Disabling IRQ#16 prompt and doesn’t load to desktop. Is there any reason why it might happen or is it just something to be dealt with?

Likely because the system is trying to load the most available graphics processor (the one attached to your CPU/APU) … which is an intel, but you have set the proprietary nvidia as the driver, along with a number of other opensource module blacklists that the profile adds to make sure nvidia runs.

For more in-depth info see here (though note we are Not Arch, especially when it comes to mhwd):
PRIME - ArchWiki
NVIDIA Optimus - ArchWiki

Install fresh nvidia-dkms drivers.

sudo pacman -S --needed nvidia-dkms nvidia-utils lib32-nvidia-utils vulkan-icd-loader lib32-vulkan-icd-loader libvdpau lib32-libvdpau opencl-nvidia lib32-opencl-nvidia libxnvctrl

If you will be asked for linux-headers, please install linux-headers for your current kernel version.
You can check kernel version with following command uname -a

Add modules for nvidia

sudo nano /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

MODULES=“nvidia”

(Re)-generate initramfs
sudo mkinitcpio -P

Command with PRIME offloading NVIDIA GPU

__NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __VK_LAYER_NV_optimus=NVIDIA_only __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia

Check if NVIDIA GPU works

__NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __VK_LAYER_NV_optimus=NVIDIA_only __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"

If you need to run any package with NVIDIA GPU, add package after this long command

__NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __VK_LAYER_NV_optimus=NVIDIA_only __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia package

Steam games on NVIDIA GPU.

__NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __VK_LAYER_NV_optimus=NVIDIA_only __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia %command%