Installing nvidia-utils (460.80-1) breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils=460.73.01' required by linux59-nvidia

I was upgrading my system with pacman -Syu and it gave me this error. I tried changing pacman mirrors and pacman -Syyu but with same result.

:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: gnome-initial-setup: local (40.0-1) is newer than community (3.38.4-2)
warning: pamac-cli: local (10.1.2-0.1) is newer than extra (10.0.6-2)
warning: pamac-common: local (10.1.2-0.1) is newer than extra (10.0.6-2)
warning: pamac-flatpak-plugin: local (10.1.2-0.1) is newer than extra (10.0.6-2)
warning: pamac-gnome-integration: local (10.1.2-0.1) is newer than extra (10.0.6-2)
warning: pamac-gtk: local (10.1.2-0.1) is newer than extra (10.0.6-2)
warning: pamac-snap-plugin: local (10.1.2-0.1) is newer than extra (10.0.6-2)
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing nvidia-utils (460.80-1) breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils=460.73.01' required by linux59-nvidia`

Then I came to know that kernel 5.9 is no longer supported. So I run pacman -S linux512 and I tried to remove linux 5.9 kernel with pacman -Rs linux59. But it showed me this

checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing linux59 breaks dependency 'linux59' required by linux59-nvidia

After that I ran pacman -Syu anyway but got the same error. How can I fix this?

linux59 has been EOL for a while and no longer exists in the repo.

Please change kernel to latest LTS or supported kernel, before you update.

Thatā€™s because you still have kernel modules installed that needs the old kernel. Which is all handled by Manjaro Settings Managerā€™s Kernel management. So use that. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I removed the older kernel by using sudo mhwd-kernel -r linux59. But it seem to have removed linux59-nvidia also. Do I need to do anything else? Should I install linux512-nvidia?

I donā€™t get this need to not use the provided GUI that actually does all this for youā€¦

But yes. If you installed linux512, changes are you need linux512-nvidia if you have an nvidia GPU.

1 Like

I had linux 59 and I installed the latest update with 460.80ā€¦ resulting in the system not bootable, can you please tell me what commands (in terminal)to use to start the system. I am new to Manjaro

Hi,
Iā€™m trying to do this as well and Iā€™m confused. Iā€™m in the GUI, and itā€™s showing me that 5.9 is running and installed. So I try hitting install on the LTS 5.10.36-2. itā€™s saying changes were made successfully, but this is in the details
The following packages will be installed:

linux510

linux510-nvidia

Starting

resolving dependenciesā€¦

looking for conflicting packagesā€¦

:: installing nvidia-utils (460.80-1) breaks dependency ā€˜nvidia-utils=460.73.01ā€™ required by linux59-nvidia

Done ā€¦

I tried restarting my computer but 5.9 is still installed. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
Travis

You havenā€™t switched to 5.10, only installed it.
When your computer is booting, press Esc, until you see your GRUB menu. You can choose the newer kernel under advanced options.

Hi,
So I actually went through and uninstalled 5.9 and then installed 5.10. Now I broke my system. When I go to boot after I select Manjaro on the grub menu I just get stuck in my splash screen. I tried the advanced screen but my only option is Kernel 5.10.36. Any idea how I can get it working?

Did the Nvidia drivers install without errors this time? And by ā€œmy splash screenā€, do you mean the desktop environment or UEFI/BIOS one?
If latter, youā€™ll likely need to reinstall the Nvidia drivers through a live environment.

I didnā€™t run the system update before restarting my machine. I used the GUI to remove the old kernel and install the new one, then restarted.

By splash screen, I mean the manufacturer logo splash screen. (AlienWare).

I run a dual boot with windows and manjaro. The PC boots to the grub menu, and when I try to go to manjaro from there it just gets stuck in the splash screen.

So, Iā€™m not sure how to reinstall Nvidia drivers through a live environment. I am going to do some resarch on that now, but if you donā€™t mind helping me understand that a little more Iā€™d be super grateful. Iā€™m hoping to avoid doing a fresh install.

Not through a bootable USB right? I tried that once but it didnā€™t seem like the operating system on that USB knew about the operating system on my hard drive.

Iā€™m off to the manual.

That is often a recipe for a bad time.

Quite the opposite, you need a bootable USB. Using chroot while in the live environment: GRUB/Restore the GRUB Bootloader - Manjaro
After a successful chroot, you wanna perform a full system upgrade.

Thank you for all your help, itā€™s really appreciated. I got a bootable usb and got into chroot and then did a full system upgrade as well as grub. However, I still have the same problem. I went back into the live environment and chrooted again, and it says my system is up to date. Any idea where I should go from here? Is there any information I need to post?

Did you try reinstalling the Nvidia drivers using mhwd?

I did not but I just ran the comman mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300 and got the output

Skipping already installed config ā€˜video-nvidiaā€™ for device: 0000:01:00.0 (0300:10de:1f02) Display controller nVidia Corporation TU106 [GeForce RTX 2070]

Adding -f should force reinstallation.

Ok thanks trying that. Itā€™s running Iā€™m going to restart my machine and try booting. Thank you so much for the help

Iā€™m back in business. Thank you SO MUCH!