Installing Nvidia drivers

"inxi -Fxz" system output:

Host: lx-acr Kernel: 4.19.28-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.2.1 Desktop: Xfce 4.13.2git-UNKNOWN 
           Distro: Manjaro Linux

How exactly do I install Nvidia drivers? In Ubuntu I had to only install the specific driver package, but reading through guides and wiki I see the mhwd command used, which seems to install bumblebee for me, and I do not want that. I only want to use my Nvidia GPU for now as my laptop is stationary 99% of the time. I found the Manjaro Settings Manager Hardware Configuration after a few hours, but I can't seem to click on any of the checkboxes. It shows that I currently have video-linux installed for both my dedicated GPU and integrated GPU.

"inxi -Fxz" graphics output:

Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 530 vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M] vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: intel,nouveau unloaded: modesetting resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 18.3.4 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 100 Series/C230 Series Family HD Audio vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: snd_hda_intel

This are the known options for hybrid graphics laptops. Choose one, but make sure you read and understand how are working, advantages and disadvantages for each

but only chose one, don't mix them up!

But how do I install the drivers?

Each option has a specific set of instructions. Following those instructions will have a clear how to install the drivers too.
If you decided already what option to follow, i can assist more if needed.

Since bumblebee has always broken my system, I'd use nvidia-prime, but I can't see the package when searching with pamac.

:slight_smile: You didn't read the instructions :slight_smile:
There is no such thing as nvidia-prime package. Go step by step

and please, use only the step for the DM on XFCE, aka LightDM when you get to step 5.

You system is out of date.Please update first before doing anything

1 Like

Correct, I'm stuck on Step 2 as I do not know how to install the proper drivers. I assumed the existence of a package for nvidia-prime as I believe that existed in Ubuntu.

sudo mhwd -i pci video-nvidia
and then go to step 3.

Thank you, not sure why the command on the wiki installs the bumblebee version. But regarding the third step where it says:

mhwd does the sensible thing and puts configuration in place as though the NVIDIA GPU was the only device available. We need to change this setup so PRIME will work.

Does this mean that the system will now only use the Nvidia GPU? Since that is what I would prefer. Or will my system be broken when restarted?

The way the nvidia driver writes the configs do not work on hybrid laptops, that is why you have to change them as mentioned. Don't reboot before you do all the steps exactly as described.

It seems to be functional now, aside from logging into a black screen and having to relogin. Thank you for your help.

Maybe you just need to run this command:
sudo systemctl enable haveged --now
and next reboot will not be black screen.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.