Installing Nvidia Drivers with MHWD

nvidia

Hi, I tried installing the nvidia drivers after initially installing Manjaro Cinnamon with the free drivers.

I wanted to switch because I had some problems with display errors when I added a second monitor to my setup.

After installing I couldn’t boot anymore, I got stuck shortly after the boot process started with only an underscore on an otherwise black screen.

I have chrooted into my installation with a bootable stick, everything looks intact.

I am now trying to install with mhwd. Problem is, apparently it tries to install a non existant driver.
Short example of what i mean

[manjaro-cinnamon /]# mhwd -f -i pci video-nvidia
> Installing video-nvidia...
Using default
Has lib32 support: true
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia/MHWDCONFIG
Processing classid: 0300
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/scripts/include/0300
Processing classid: 0302
:: Synchronizing package databases...
error: target not found: linux418-nvidia
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
Error: pacman failed!

I can’t find linux418-nvidia in pacman, but I can find linux419-nvidia.

I also tried installing the nvidia driver with the official driver from the Nvidia homepage, but it forces me to kill xserver, but I seem to cannot kill it in chroot, as my bootable stick always restarts it

Additional infos:
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 980
Manjaro:

DISTRIB_ID=ManjaroLinux
DISTRIB_RELEASE=18.0.2
DISTRIB_CODENAME=Illyria
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Manjaro Linux"

Linux 4.18 is not supported by upstream anymore. Therefore it was removed from the repository. Do not use unsupported Kernels.

Install the current LTS (4.19) or switch to the current Linux Kernel 4.20. Keep in mind that 4.20 will be out of date and unsupported shortly after Linux 5.0 is released.

After you installed a LTS Kernel, you should remove Linux 4.18 form your system.

4 Likes

If you also have Intel iGPU you may need bumblebee.
Anyway, you should better use autoinstall, instead of force, unless you know what you are doing.

1 Like

Linux 4.18 is not supported by upstream anymore. Therefore it was removed from the repository. Do not use unsupported Kernels.
Install the current LTS (4.19) or switch to the current Linux Kernel 4.20. Keep in mind that 4.20 will be out of date and unsupported shortly after Linux 5.0 is released.

Thank you very much, that was indeed the problem. I will keep up with my kernel updates from now on.

closed #5

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.