Installing Nvidia 450.xx drivers after 2020-08-22 stable update

I get the error that removing the 440 driver breaks nvidia-utils which is required by cuda.

Installing video-nvidia-450xx…
Sourcing /etc/mhwd-x86_64.conf
Has lib32 support: true
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-450xx/MHWDCONFIG
Processing classid: 0300
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/scripts/include/0300
Processing classid: 0302
checking dependencies…
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing nvidia-440xx-utils breaks dependency ‘nvidia-utils’ required by cuda
Error: pacman failed!
Error: script failed!

Then if you read the error message, you know that you need to first remove cuda if you want to proceed. cuda has ‘nvidia-utils’ as a dependency that will break if you remove nvidia-440xx-utils. This is where it fails.

2 Likes

You have meta package installed linux-latest****, probably for Kernel and video, so you need to not use them in order to use the ‘normal’ way. I think if you replace the meta package with the typical package it will work, uninstall it and replace it.

2 Likes

Update went ok, but had to manually configure for Nvidia 450 drivers, tty, install etc. Drivers are running, and nvidia-450xx-utils is installed, but still no hardware decoding of HEVC video. Do I need to reinstall these packages for it to work?

This solved things for me though I’m sure there is a way to do this without removing as many packages. I used this link to show me how to boot into TTY.

I used this for my GTX1080

sudo mhwd -i pci video-nvidia-450xx

Thank you.

I did almost the same:

sudo mhwd -i pci video-modesetting
Successfully installed video-modesetting

If you have 440 installed and no need for rebooting:

sudo mhwd -r pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-440xx-prime
Successfully removed video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-440xx-prime

Then, without installing 440 or reboot:

sudo mhwd -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime
Successfully installed video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime

Then reboot:

inxi -G
Graphics: Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 620 driver: i915 v: kernel
Device-2: NVIDIA GM107 [GeForce 940MX] driver: nvidia v: 450.57
Device-3: Chicony HD WebCam type: USB driver: uvcvideo
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting,nvidia unloaded: nouveau resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.1.5

1 Like

You probably want to remove this package first.

3 Likes

Hi,
Got issue like many while updating nvidia 450. On my GTX 1060 system i have removed everything related to 440xx.
On reboot i got a black screen :flushed: So go to console using ALT + F2 (or CTRL + ALT + F2) then
sudo mhwd -i pci video-nvidia-450xx
systemctl reboot
It did the trick, thanks :facepunch:

Updating Nvidia driver has been a hassle for me too. It ended up in another TTS since installing 450 didn’t uninstall 440, config files were not created correctly… To summarize : A mess.
Conky-lua-nv now works… but uses 17% of a 3700x… Normal Conky doesn’t have the Lua graphics on my applet, but does use my CPU normally.

Unfortunately I need cuda for work. I think I remember it being mentioned that cuda support is somewhat broken for 450 series driver. Do you know if that is still the case?

I don’t know but if you need cuda then reinstall it after changing the video drivers from 440 to 450.

1 Like

You will not be updated from 440 to 450 automatically. When running the 440 driver you will automatically receive updates within the same series, but when changing to 450 series this has to be initiated manually.

It is really easy, and you can use the Manjaro hardware settings to do it. No need for CLI. Right-click on the installed driver and remove it, then right-click on the wanted driver and install it. The rest is taken care of. Thereafter reboot and that’s about it.

At least here I have to admit, running GTX980 with 440 before, now 450, no issues.

Cuda 11.0 installed fine and works on my machine.

Sat Aug 22 18:01:00 2020       
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 450.57       Driver Version: 450.57       CUDA Version: 11.0     |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|                               |                      |               MIG M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
|   0  GeForce GTX 1050    Off  | 00000000:01:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
| N/A   46C    P8    N/A /  N/A |      5MiB /  4042MiB |      0%      Default |
|                               |                      |                  N/A |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes:                                                                  |
|  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                  GPU Memory |
|        ID   ID                                                   Usage      |
|=============================================================================|
|    0   N/A  N/A      2909      G   /usr/lib/Xorg                       4MiB |
1 Like

This wasn’t the case for me. It complained about breaking dependencies and would not proceed. I had to manually uninstall from Pamac, after installing video-modesetting

I have no hybrid graphics system, only a single GTX980. That seems to be easier to handle.

I assume so.

I used to have only one file in the X11/xorg.conf.d/ folder, 95-mhwd.conf. Now, there is a 90-mhwd.conf there as well, but the old one is still there. Is it safe to remove the 95 file? How can I tell which one the driver is actually using? Sorry if these are stupid questions, but am still trying to figure out why HEVC decoding is not working. I ran the nvidia-modprobe command, no change.

I was getting an error trying to update my nvidia drivers from 440 to 450.

Waiting for user input...
Starting
> Installing video-nvidia-450xx...
checking dependencies...
:: removing linux54-nvidia-440xx breaks dependency 'linux54-nvidia-440xx' required by linux-lts-nvidia-440xx

Done ...

I currently have kernels 5.4 and 5.7 installed and i’m actively using 5.7. I tried to fix this issue by uninstalling 5.4 and got a message stating “Changes were made successfully”, but in the details I got

linux54

linux54-nvidia-440xx

linux54-virtualbox-host-modules

linux54-headers

Starting

checking dependencies...

:: removing linux54 breaks dependency 'linux54' required by linux-lts

:: removing linux54-headers breaks dependency 'linux54-headers' required by linux-lts-headers

:: removing linux54-nvidia-440xx breaks dependency 'linux54-nvidia-440xx' required by linux-lts-nvidia-440xx

:: removing linux54-virtualbox-host-modules breaks dependency 'linux54-virtualbox-host-modules' required by linux-lts-virtualbox-host-modules

Done ...

I manually removed those 4 linux-lts packages in pacman as I no longer use that kernel. After doing that, I was successfully able to uninstall 5.4 and return back to the hardware configuration and run the auto install proprietary to complete the upgrade. I initially intended this post to be a bug report but I solved it as I was writing lol. Bit of a specific situation, but if anyone has a similar issue it might be helpful to know.

Getting this error when trying to update to the the latest Nvidia proprietary drivers using “auto install proprietary” and mhwd install.

Starting
> Using config 'video-nvidia-450xx' for device: 0000:26:00.0 (0300:10de:1b80) Display controller nVidia Corporation GP104 [GeForce GTX 1080]
> Installing video-nvidia-450xx...
checking dependencies...
:: removing linux57-nvidia-440xx breaks dependency 'linux57-nvidia-440xx' required by linux-latest-nvidia-440xx

Done ...

This didn’t work for me as it still uses mhwd and throws up the same error.

This doesn’t work for me either. I’ve tried auto install and manually install of the free drivers. I’ve tried force uninstall and force reinstall for the nvidia 440xx driver too. Still the same error each time. Tried those on Kernel 5.8 and 5.7 but get identical errors on both.

Everything else about the update works fine.

EDIT: R7 2700X GTX1080 Founders

This is probably the third or 4th thread on the same issue.
But your answer still lies above …

Its like this…

sudo pacman -R linux-latest-nvidia-440xx
## note - depending on your system you may have another 'latest' package to remove
sudo mhwd -i pci video-modesetting
sudo mhwd -f -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime
3 Likes