Installing Manjaro XFCE on a computer with two hard drives

Hi,
I have a computer with two hard drives, a small SSD, where Windows and the UEFI are installed, and a large HDD, where I would like to install Manjaro parallel to Windows 10 on a separate partition that already exists. When I use the graphical installer and select this partition in “Replace Partition” the whole installation seems to work to the very end until I get the following error message:

Boost.Python-Fehler in Job "bootloader".
<class 'subprocess.CalledProcessError'>
Command 'grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=Manjaro --force' returned non-zero exit status 1.
Traceback:
  File "/usr/lib/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py", line 351, in run
    prepare_bootloader(fw_type)

File "/usr/lib/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py", line 322, in prepare_bootloader
    install_grub(efi_directory, fw_type)

File "/usr/lib/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py", line 253, in install_grub
    "--force"])

File "<string>", line 2, in <module>

It even leaves a Partition named “Manjaro Linux 17.1.10” but it does not appear in boot menu
I know that the problem might arise because the UEFI will only boot from the System partition but I do not know how to solve that
Windows Fast Start is disabled, of course. I use an Acer PC with an Intel Processor. The drivers of Manjaro are non-free.
Thanks in advance

Read this Tutorial and use it to install the bootloader.

Thank you, I will try now

I followed the instructions in the link but unfortunately they don’t lead to the manjaro grub menu but to grub console. Following this https://www.linux.com/learn/how-rescue-non-booting-grub-2-linux%20 I got to

grub> set root=(hd...)
grub> linux /boot/vmli... root=/dev/sd...

with the parameters for my problem. But I seem to be unable to find the initrd file (the suggested yields a file ... not found.

For example:

grub> initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-29-generic

Any suggestions how this is with Manjaro?

Have a look in the bios under boot.

See if you can change the drive boot order. Select manjaro first then boot up.

You should go straight into manjaro. From there do update-grub. It should pick up windows & away you go.

As far as I know this is not a problem of boot order but of a failing install doing grub not properly

Did you follow the instructions 1-4?

You were presented with Manjaro instructions, though you haven’t used them, it seems? What else can we do?

Yes, but following 5 it does not seem to get to the original Manjaro Grub Boot menu

I did use them, I think. If you think I did not, please tell me where.

I was hoping someone could tell me the name of the initrd file in Manjaro so that I could at least diagnose that it lacks from the install.

Sorry if I am wasting your time.

On which menu did you go?
How many efi partitions and grub configs did the commands find?

It comes a very basic CLI up, all lines starting with grub>

One partition and one config

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.