Installing Manjaro on SSD and programs on HDD

Hello, im looking to start my linux journey with Manjaro (with KDE 21) as i’ve heard really good things.
I own an HP laptop with a Ryzen 7 and an intergrated Radeon Vega 10 GPU. Also its UEFI. The laptop has one SSD and one HDD and currently has Windows 10 on it.

I need some help formatting and partitioning so that Manjaro is installed on SSD and anything else on HDD (I know the linux filesystem is nothing like Windows but I hope you get the idea). I just wanna conserve as much SSD space as possible and use mainly the HDD.

I have no idea how i should format and partition the disks and im afraid of messing something up so any help is appreciated.

(Just to be clear, im not looking to dual boot, I want only Manjaro on my laptop, i just need help figuring out how to tackle the 2 disks issue)

Thanks in advance.

Try the search next time

1 Like

Well that kinda explains some things however it doesnt really help with what im asking here. I need help with formatting and partitioning my SSD and HDD so that I achieve what is described in the post you linked.

Hello @Elemeo :wink:

What do you have in mind when thinking of “anything else” ?

In general all system files and applications installed by the package manager should be on the SSD to speed up the time to run, but in general 2 things could be placed on the HDD:

1. /home → all user files
  2. backups in general

I mean programs like IDEs, browsers, Spotify, programming enviroments etc.

Well here is the unix hierachy explained:

These are installed at /opt or /usr.

In general you have to create partition on the HDD and mount it to /opt or /var. This way the content is on the HDD, but displayed like it would be on the SSD. That should be done at the installation.

For /tmp there should be used tmpfs which is a ram disk.

In general it is not that hard. I would suggest to use ext4 as filesystem which is de facto the default. On Gparted or Kparted you can easy partitioning your disk as you need. But keep in mind: shrinking and moving partitions takes a lot of time. Expanding works on the fly.