Installing browser on Manjaro 18.0.4.

Hi, folks!

I am brand new to Manjaro, normally a Mint user but looking for a fresh distro, and also something to bring an old PC back to life. Long story short, after testing many other distros, Manjaro XFCE 18.0.4 32 bit seems to be the only distro that doesn't lag on my oldest computer, however I ran into a problem with Midori not letting me input my email address when trying to log into a website, and in an attempt to fix it, I uninstalled Midori with the intent on reinstalling it, but I am finding that the Add/Remove Software option under settings is not giving any results when I search for Midori, Firefox, or anything else for that matter.

Question 1: Do the "Legacy" editions of Manjora not support new software downloads or am I missing something somewhere?
Question 2: If this edition does not support new software downloads, what are my options to install a web browser? Preferably Firefox but I am flexible if Midori is the only thing that will work.

• Like many others who use a more "polished" Linux distro, I am completely clueless when it comes to the terminal. While I am not afraid of getting my hands a little dirty, I am not really at all knowledgeable about any terminal commands, so if that is my only hope, please let me know fool-proof step by step instructions if possible. *

Hope there is a semi-easy solution to this, as this particular distro is the only one that works well on this very old PC.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Joe

It’s a 2 year old version of Manjaro. Sorry, there’s no way to get it working. Manjaro is a rolling release so old versions of software are not supported nor accessible. Can you test the latest version of Manjaro to see if it will work with your machine with a live USB? Odds are it will, since 18 did.

Or are you using the 32bit Manjaro? You’re out of luck if so.

Edit: Yes he’s using 32 bit. RIP

@joesnameisgreg Try MX Linux, they still support 32bit and are pretty friendly.

2 Likes

Is no longer supported or maintained.

...you can attempt to convert it to Arch-32 maybe ?

1 Like

They’re alive? Awesome. I thought that project had folded for some reason.

1 Like

Its still around.
.. if OP wants to try .. I think it would go something like this:

• Edit /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist to replace current mirrors with something from
    https://git.archlinux32.org/packages/plain/core/pacman-mirrorlist/mirrorlist

• pacman -Syy archlinux32-keyring

• pacman -Sc

• pacman -Syyuu

• pacman -Sc

• you would also want to remove a number of manjaro-specific packages and services .. for example to replace manjaro kernels and rebuild modules, remove mhwd and pacman-mirrors, etc.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the quick replies! I reinstalled the OS from scratch and Midori is back and working, albeit very slowly due to very low system resources. I realize this is not my best option for a computer, just an experiment to see how far I could push the old thing before it blows up (figuratively or literally!) Might end up giving MX Linux a try at some point but so far I am going to try Manjaro on one of my good-er computers for a while and see how I like it compared to Mint.

Forum kindly sponsored by