Installing Arch alongside existing Manjaro and Windows 10 installations

grub
dual-boot
archlinux
installation
lenovo

I currently have a dual boot system on a Lenovo Y700. It is running Manajaro and Windows 10.

I want to install Arch alongside these two OSs, but want to avoid having any issues, particularly with GRUB after doing this.

• Are there any steps I should perform differently from a normal Arch install?
  • Should I install GRUB when I install Arch?
  • Or should I update GRUB in Manjaro after installing Arch without installing GRUB on Arch?

• Yes
  • No
  • Yes

Thank you, are there any other considerations aside from GRUB I should consider?

Yes.
With Arch you have to RTFM.
:joy: :rofl:

Sounds like a question for the Arch wiki. :wink:

But WHY??? Manjaro and Arch are basically the same thing.

This is Linux. You don’t ask a guy a why.

You encourage him in any endeavour he wants to start no matter how silly sounds to you and only reply with a: why not?

@Signalrunner Of course I can ask a guy/gal why, he is basically installing the samething partitioning his disk again and further fragmenting and only going to add further problems to himself. You have no say in what I can and can’t do.

I can understand the urge to know your roots - or in this case - Manjaro roots.

I have tried a couple of times to run Manjaro and Arch as dual-boot - but it created too much AGP (Annoying Grub Problems).

As @PenguinRage points out - Manjaro and Arch are very similar, and Manjaro always comes out as the winner.

I you really want to play with vanilla Arch - I suggest you do so in a VirtualBox. That will also leave out all the trouble you might get if using Nvidia or AMD graphics.

So? Maybe it’s a learning experience and wanna try to install Arch the Arch way. Maybe he wants to know if he can replace Manjaro with Arch. Maybe he wants to completely break his setup.

It’s no up to us to question any of this. Of course you can say anything you want, but the same freedom goes around the other way.

Sorry but that isn’t your decision to make.

Oh boy, settle down there gentlemen.

I run Arch on my desktop. This is my laptop. I just want to have it to tinker with and customize.

You’re all entitled to your own opinions, but ultimately I am looking for issues that might arise out of installing Arch alongside my existing system and how I might mitigate them. Any discussion regarding this topic would be greatly appreciated.

What makes you guys say this will “break my setup”?

There should be no issues.

I think everyone should learn how to install Arch the ‘arch way’ then when their done install Manjaro…

Then you already know there is very little difference between the two and you could customize Manjaro pretty much the same way. If you wanted a new DE you could just simply install the required packages.

You have already gone through process before and likely repeating the problem again. Messing about with MBR, Grub, UEFI, you’ll be partitioning your disk again.

Yeah, but I think the issue there was the BIOS update.

True, Bios was broken because of the update.

Just for anyone who is curios or who wants to do this in the future, everything went fine.

I just installed Arch as you normally would using a Live CD, but didn’t install GRUB. After the installation, I booted into Manjaro and ran sudo update-grub to make the boot entry appear.

Also, something I realized after the fact is that you can bootstrap Arch using Pacman, potentially alleviating the need to create some installation media, although I did not try this method.

This solution was given at the very first answer to the topic, so you should normally mark that one as a solution, according to the forum guidelines :wink:

I’m not clear about one thing.

Do you use the existing $ESP (to mount at /boot) or make a new $ESP?