Installed Manjaro Gnome on my HP laptop: no bootloader installed

During the disk selection, I selected the option that erases the disk. I was not given an option to install wihch bootloader to use (like what’s done in the Architect edition).

I know there’s no issue with the laptop and/or disk since I installed Manjaro Deepin a few hours ago. And I just installed Deepin 15.9 (the original). In both Deepin install, the laptop booted fine.

Is this an issue with the installer?

Thanks

edit:

1. erase the disk and then installed Manjaro Deepin and it booted fine.
  2. erase the disk and then Installed Manjaro Gnome and it won’t boot.
  3. erase the disk and then Installed Deepin 15.9 and it booted fine

Hi! These are what helped me solve that issue:

Restore the GRUB Bootloader - Manjaro Linux

Restore Manjaro boot - Technical Issues and Assistance / Tutorials - Manjaro Linux Forum

Linux: How to restore GRUB - YouTube

How to Restore Missing Grub Bootloader | Manjaro Linux Tutorial - YouTube

2 Likes

Moved from #general-discussion to #support-for-official-editions:installation

i dont understand, you installed manjaro deepin first? did it ever boot after install?

if no, you might have installed it in the wrong mode (lBIOS or UEFI) which is easy to do, if you boot the manjaro usb in UEFI mode, it installs as UEFI mode with a GPT partition table. if you boot the usb in Legacy/bios mode it will install as such and have an MBR partition table. this mistake is common because sometimes there are both options available from the boot selection menu.

first find out if your system is UEFI or Legacy/Bios and then boot/install in the correct mode.

the other thing if you plan to keep the other deepin os installed you need to use manjaro’s grub if you want to boot manjaro. manjaro’s grub can boot most other OS’s but not all grub from other distros will properly boot manjaro.

edited my original post.

I cannot have confused UEFI/BIOS on the laptop as the laptop can only boot on BIOS.

ok, so it comes down to this. what is your end goal? manjaro only? dual boot, and if so which?

The end goal is to test the different editions of Manjaro for now.

edit. not going to dual boot at all.

are you using the latest 18.0.4 iso?

i would confirm bios settings are correct, and when you go to install use gparted (comes on most ISO’s) or kpartition manager (kde) to first wipe the drive and create a new MBR partition table and let the installer do the rest. im not sure why gnome failed but it could be a number of things including how you wrote the iso to the usb, use etcher as it’s the simpleist to use and never fails.

and dont use encryption unless you really need to, it only multiplies the amount of potential issues, and unless it’s needed is just not worth it…

If,during partitioning, the /root partition isnt ‘Flagged’ as boot then you will have wasted your time. This sometimes happens to me on a clean install,I notice that the boot flag box isnt at the top of the list whenever this happens and even if I tick the box it still doesnt help. Under a successful situation the Boot Flag is pre-ticked and is top of the list. Obviously missing something here,but what I dont know.

Seems a bug in the installer then? I used auto partition as I don’t want to be bothered with all steps required for manual partitioning.

boot a manjaro usb, chroot in and re-install/update grub.

@titanova linked everything you need in the first reply.

you can also use a manjaro live usb/cd to detect bootloaders and boot manjaro, then update-grub.

1 Like

Sound like Secure Boot is not disable in bios. Can you check it ?

Hi again, @mrjayviper! What's up? Were you able to successfully install Manjaro Gnome on your laptop? No more problems with the bootloader?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark