RTX 3070 - Which driver won't brick?

TLDR: What driver do I install that works and won’t brick?

I had no GUI and there was freezing up on boot (before even login screen). After installing linux513 via chroot and removing all drivers with pacman and mhwd I’ve finally gotten back into a GUI state. This all happened because I foolishly used the auto driver installer for nvidia (in terminal), which proceeded to brick my system upon reboot.

Now I’m in a driverless state where my GPU is not being utilised outside of basic graphics (so I at least have GUI to post here now). I’m afraid to install any more drivers less I spend another 5 hours trying to fix my PC. Any recommendations? Who else is running this card or similar and has working drivers? I’d to do some GPU accelerated activities. Thanks a lot. This is like my 3rd account because the forum keeps deleting me if I don’t post for a while :confused:

Specs:
Kernel: 5.13.0-1-MANJARO
Packages: 1745 (pacman)[testing], 1 (snap)
Shell: zsh 5.8
Resolution: 2560x1440 @ 120Hz
DE: GNOME 3.38.4
WM: Mutter (Wayland)
WM Theme: Matcha-dark-sea
Theme: Matcha-sea [GTK2/3/4]
Icons: Papirus-Dark-Maia [GTK2/3/4]
Font: Noto Sans 11 [GTK2/3/4]
Terminal: gnome-terminal-server
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (12) @ 3.7GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070
Memory: 4153MiB / 32020MiB (12%)
Disk (/): 162GB / 233GB (69%)
Locale: en_GB.UTF-8

Edit: I guess it might be worth mentioning but gnome wayland seems to be the only DE that loads. Anything else crashes and sends me right back to the login screen.

can you use these kernels
version 5.10 LTS or 5.12 , but not 5.13 ( this is a rc version for 5.13 )

5.10 Gives no GUI and have to use tty. 5.12 works and I can post here again.

Success!

These changes allowed my system to run smoothly and use the GPU for games (tested Valheim)

Changes I made
Kernel 512
mhwd auto install nonfree
Connect 1440p (or less) monitor using HDMI

If still getting black screen on login, remove older kernels and nvidia related software and then re-install as needed. Run nvidia-xconfig if needed. Thanks for the help lads I hope others get over this issue.

Display port is dangerous on Nvidia right now

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.